Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

life on my new case

My new work contract couldn't be more different than the last if it tried. I sit in a room with like a hundred government employees, where privacy is as elusive as free aeroplane tickets to Havana. I have no Internet access, which leaves me feeling as disoriented as a blind person, and means I haveprecious little to dawdle about on when my manager isn't looking. Did I mention I have to trek 50km north of civilisation? That means I get up at the false dawn (5:30), stumble around shivering and swearing in the dark, chuck muesli and scalding hot tea down my throat, start the stupid rental car5 times before it gets going (more about cars later), all so I don't have to park for hours on the N1 to Pretoria, which, if you didn't know it already, is the busiest highway section in the southern hemisphere.

I've been on the project since Monday (which ended at 2am), and my job is to stare at Excel spreadsheetsall day long, and perform trivial tasks such as sort, filter, cut, paste and compile data. Yawn!

But let's get back to cars. So dear Shosholoza Meyl called me yesterday to inform me that due to the derailing of the train, my car will only arrive at the Joburg train station on Thursday morning at 6am. They said nothing about whether it would arrive in one piece or not, or more importantly, whether the R2000 worth of wine bottles itwas carrying in the boot were still intact. Poo. Yip, saying this has been a bad month for me and cars is putting it mildly.


Aaaaand, today's cherry on the top will be a work evaluation with my Nazi senior colleague.
The rest of the week holds some excitement, though - my work's having its biannual (?biennial? I always forget) strategy getaway, which means we go to a resort for 4 days, talk shop and eat and drink lots on the company account.

So... have fun and games the rest of this week, darlings. Hope to be Internet-enabled some time in the not-too-distant future.

4 Comments:

At 8:51 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

I am still in shock that you work for SARS. Have you read my blog lately? I dedicate around 1 000 words to slagging them off royally. Your prolems with cars equate to my problems with tax basically. If you can equate Tax Hell.

Shoshaloza Meyl is one fucked up company - I actually just cannot believe your luck with cars dude, I'm dumbfounded. You need to sell your car and take the bus, it's as simple as that. YOu know, the nice yellow Oriental PLaza ones...;)

Have a great time bonding with your colleagues - you will be sorely missed when I quaff tequila at Tiger this Friday - but now that you're back, there's always next FRiday! Goddamit I'm excited.

Right. Now. Here's hoping that the wine is intact in your boot. Yes, I'm expecting you to come over one of these days with a bottle and talk shit with me. xxx

 
At 12:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post as for me. I'd like to read something more concerning this theme. Thanks for giving this data.

 
At 3:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and anything connected to this matter. I definitely want to read a bit more soon.

Sincerely yours

 
At 2:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi there everyone. I'm really into shoes and I have been searching as far as something that particular make. The prices as regards the sneakers were around 300 dollars on every page. But definitively I bring about this site selling them for half price. I exceptionally want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely purchase those. what do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites