Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Our shit don’t stink

Oh the satisfaction of it all! It may be a mere R75 saving, but the mere ego factor of my victory is worth far more…

You see, I have a credit card with one of SA’s major banks, the bloody thing is less than a year old (you know how they send you a new card every 2 years?) and has some mysterious large credit limit which I will discover shortly when my statement is sent to me for last month (yip, I maxed it, thankfully mostly on company-related expenses that will be reimbursed).

Anyhow, the thing should not cease to read when swiped through retailers’ machines unless some major damage (and I don’t mean the financial kind) is inflicted on it, but mine has given up the ghost. After weeks of frustration (including a non-reading incident that delayed me for 45 minutes at the airport on the Friday evening of the Blog Awards, causing me to miss the announcement of Peas’ award, courtesy of an exorbitant parking bill I had no cash on me to settle) I called the customer ‘care’ line, to enquire about the procedure to replace my damaged card. All goes fine until right at the last step, when it dawns on me to ask whether there is any charge for the new card (because they train their sly consultants not to inform you of the fees they will automatically deduct from your account sans your permission), and it turns out there is indeed a charge – R75. I tell the consultant that is preposterous and that I will shop around for a new credit card, and that I will lay a complaint against the company, which I pursued immediately as promised.

I send an email informing them:

It is utterly incomprehensible that in the increasingly competitive environment of credit provision, you dare to suggest I should pay a R75 fee for a new card that has been damaged through no fault of my own, except perhaps overuse (which is to your advantage, anyway). My FNB debit card which is far older, and from a seemingly more reliable manufacturer, has never failed me, and I am increasingly using it to charge large expenses that my [insert name of offending bank here] credit card won’t read.

As I type this, I am already visiting the websites of competing products – do you know that one of your major competitors only charges R25 for the replacement of a damaged card? I’m certain the new-age affinity group credit cards charge nothing, along with their drastically reduced annual management fees, which appears to me to be a far more attractive proposition than that offered to me by your institution.

In the next few days I will have selected a new credit card product, and you will have lost another customer. I expect to write you yet another complaint when I realize that you will have charged me my full annual management fee of R150 for my card, even though at that point I will have used it for only 4 months of the year, but that is a battle I will fight when I come to it.

Yours sincerely

Angry Ant


To my amazement, I got a response within 3 hours, and the obsequious consultant managed to calm me down to the point that I agreed to stay with the bank if they gave me a free replacement card (lucky for them – my colleague tells me she has information that they’re bleeding credit card customers like hell at present) – which she promised will be available by next Monday at the latest. I wait in anticipation.

And in a little unrelated (as always) anecdote, Gilb’s friend told me a truly cringe-worthy story: he went to the Easter Oppikoppi festival, where the open-air male and female ablution blocks are separated by a mere wall. From the male shower stalls, the men could hear two girls going about their business (number 2’s, apparently plainly audible) in the toilets on the other side of the wall – this will be a hazard of going to the festival, but it’s to be expected, I guess. Anyhow, the one girl finished her business earlier than her friend, and she gets impatient with her and says (again, very clearly audible to the showering men): “knyp hom af, man, ons moet gaan!” (for the Engelse out there, this translates to “pinch it off, we must go!”). Sorry to dispel the myths about girls not pooing, guys, but at least ours do smell like roses :)

15 Comments:

At 8:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your free card! :-)

 
At 9:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ant, great post dude, I posted about it on this on my Money talks blog.

 
At 10:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm seriously considering making use of the old "tin underneath my bed" tactic. Banks are seriously screwing all of us over!
good on you ant!

 
At 10:48 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Louisa - thank you dear, but only congratulate me when the card is physically in my wallet!

mr maher - i aim to please, thanks for the mention...

storm - if only there weren't tokoloshes under the bed!

 
At 11:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've been wondering what happened to the money in the experimental tin......thanx for causing a gigantic light to flash above my head!

 
At 2:33 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

My next fight is gonna be soo much fun. Standbank as lately taken to charging a R17.50 monthly overdraft ledger fee - this is just for having an overdraft facility available, whether you use it or not???WTF

Assume 4 million accounts with OD and we're talking 70mill per month that they just sneaked in with their revised fees for 2007.

R840mill per annum, not bad hey!

Second fight: You know that if you have a high enough positive balance on your account, you don't have to pay the normal transactional fees.

Well, I left my account for a few months with a positive balance exceeding R20k which is what made me spot the R17.50.

But here's the kicker: for that level of positive balance I would normally get a R110+ per month rebate on my transaction fees...except that...if you're on a fixed monthly transaction fee option, you don't get this rebate.

I must add that the monthly fee is about R110 so why not just waive the monthly fee.

So now I'm thinking, whats the point of having this R20k sitting in the bank besides the almost non-existant interest I get on this cheque account.

Might as well just stick it under my bed.

 
At 4:52 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

seems my idea is taking the world by storm....even Rev seems interested...maybe i should patent it???

 
At 10:24 pm, Blogger alex said...

She says the numbers diflucan on the streets runs criss-cross-like.. My spectacles regulated my ambition, and I early learned that there were better gods than aldactone Plutus.. I stepped into the next office in the street, and acyclovir a mild-faced, genial man, also a large and opulent merchant, asked me my business in such a tone, that I instantly looked through my spectacles, and saw a land flowing with milk and honey.. There is no collection as yet of phentermine his short stories.. Smiley said all a penicillin frog wanted was education, and he could do 'most anything--and I believe him.. Podington was delighted; his face glowed; he was rejoiced at the pleasure of his aspirin friend.. When did you tell the coachman to come for us? At half past ten, was the brother's reply. fosamax. From other components of the same dream it is now possible to add that the lady had guessed the relationship between the English word box and the German Buechse , and had then been haunted by the memory that Buechse (as well as box) is calcium used in vulgar speech to designate the female genital organ.. You worked among the tylenol horses--breaking the colts.. We shall see, sir, said Hotchkiss, grasping the handle of the door and backing into the topamax passage.. I haven't a knife, klonopin replied Podington.. The dream is to be regarded, says Binz, as phentermine a physical process always useless, frequently morbid.. He soon heard panting and other noises that appeared strange to him, and he could also make out the position of his parents soma in bed.. Cattle? Why cattle? Why, to see if magnesium there's any corn under 'em ! he said; and immediately asked, Why is Douglas like the earth? We tried, but couldn't guess.. Wait a minute, and I will get avelox it for you...

 
At 7:08 am, Blogger sdfa sdfasdfadsf said...

Ant! How are you!

Girls DO NOT POO! NEVER!

Such blasphemy. If this was ancient Rome you'd be in the stocks.

 
At 9:52 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morning Ant,

Cool post!

I was charged R12.00 for drawing money at my own bank (being STD Bank)... outside one of their branches!! Ok fine you can’t even buy bread and milk for R12 today. But still isn’t it cheaper to draw money from another bank?? And I have to pay R50 for a new card. (might be more expensive now?)
It would be best and cheaper to put money in your mattress!! I'm with you Storm.

I also have a R17.50 OD charge every month and I never use it!!

But with the new credit act coming in June I'll rather keep it coz we will struggle to get credit.

Anyway hope you get your new card soon!!

Ciao

 
At 11:28 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

storm - tokoloshe or the maid brave enough to clean under your bed!

rev / somali - i think we should start a blog petition to have that charge removed! All it is is a stamp of approval to say they'd give you overdraft if you need it - why charge you for it until you start using it??? Grrrrr!

kev - hi babe. in ancient rome girls could get it out the other hole (mouth) using a vomitarium. Since those have become distinctly unfashionable these days, what's a lass to do???

 
At 6:41 am, Blogger alex said...

She says the numbers ambien on the streets runs criss-cross-like.. My spectacles regulated my ambition, and I early learned that there were better gods than protonix Plutus.. I stepped into the next office in the street, and proscar a mild-faced, genial man, also a large and opulent merchant, asked me my business in such a tone, that I instantly looked through my spectacles, and saw a land flowing with milk and honey.. There is no collection as yet of insulin his short stories.. Smiley said all a lortab frog wanted was education, and he could do 'most anything--and I believe him.. Podington was delighted; his face glowed; he was rejoiced at the pleasure of his magnesium friend.. When did you tell the coachman to come for us? At half past ten, was the brother's reply. meclizine. From other components of the same dream it is now possible to add that the lady had guessed the relationship between the English word box and the German Buechse , and had then been haunted by the memory that Buechse (as well as box) is soma used in vulgar speech to designate the female genital organ.. You worked among the ativan horses--breaking the colts.. We shall see, sir, said Hotchkiss, grasping the handle of the door and backing into the levitra passage.. I haven't a knife, tegretol replied Podington.. The dream is to be regarded, says Binz, as protonix a physical process always useless, frequently morbid.. He soon heard panting and other noises that appeared strange to him, and he could also make out the position of his parents singulair in bed.. Cattle? Why cattle? Why, to see if ultracet there's any corn under 'em ! he said; and immediately asked, Why is Douglas like the earth? We tried, but couldn't guess.. Wait a minute, and I will get zantac it for you...

 
At 11:38 am, Blogger alex said...

She says the numbers zocor on the streets runs criss-cross-like.. My spectacles regulated my ambition, and I early learned that there were better gods than tramadol Plutus.. I stepped into the next office in the street, and phentermine a mild-faced, genial man, also a large and opulent merchant, asked me my business in such a tone, that I instantly looked through my spectacles, and saw a land flowing with milk and honey.. There is no collection as yet of calcium his short stories.. Smiley said all a flonase frog wanted was education, and he could do 'most anything--and I believe him.. Podington was delighted; his face glowed; he was rejoiced at the pleasure of his prednisone friend.. When did you tell the coachman to come for us? At half past ten, was the brother's reply. xanax. From other components of the same dream it is now possible to add that the lady had guessed the relationship between the English word box and the German Buechse , and had then been haunted by the memory that Buechse (as well as box) is evista used in vulgar speech to designate the female genital organ.. You worked among the valium horses--breaking the colts.. We shall see, sir, said Hotchkiss, grasping the handle of the door and backing into the vioxx passage.. I haven't a knife, xanax replied Podington.. The dream is to be regarded, says Binz, as phentermine a physical process always useless, frequently morbid.. He soon heard panting and other noises that appeared strange to him, and he could also make out the position of his parents phentermine in bed.. Cattle? Why cattle? Why, to see if soma there's any corn under 'em ! he said; and immediately asked, Why is Douglas like the earth? We tried, but couldn't guess.. Wait a minute, and I will get diovan it for you...

 
At 8:32 am, Blogger alex said...

.. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. .. ...

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

If you want to compare credit card costs try this link:

http://www.bankmonitor.co.za/default.php

It enables you to compare all the card and banking products in South Africa. And shows you the different costs and charges.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites