Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

one-legged 'mobile

If you happen to see a chick driving a white Fiesta down the M3 in Cape Town with her left leg tucked under body, then stay the fuck away. For it is me, attempting to drive an automatic car, perpetually falling into the habit of trying to depress the clutch and change gears, as those who are accustomed to driving manual cars are wont to.

Despite my protests at 10pm on Monday evening at the Avis counter, they gave me an (unconditioned) automatic car. I couldn’t even get the damn thing out of the parking lot without help – I didn’t realise you had to brake while changing the ‘gear’ from ‘park’ (what the hell is that?) to ‘drive’.

This situation last happened during my last long stay in Cape Town, way back in 2004. My colleague, who drives an automatic, asked me to drop her off at the airport in her car one day. For the first nerve-wracking kilometre (naturally, down the bloody N2), I couldn’t understand why the car jerked forward and halted so violently. It took me that long to realise that left feet were not made for braking, given their accustomed task to jamming in on the clutch.

So now my resolve to confining my left leg to numbness under my ass during violent cussing sessions every time I accidentally move the ‘gearstick’ from ‘drive’ into ‘1’ or ‘2’. Automatic cars do have one nifty use though – in addition to needing only one leg to drive, you need only one arm to – the left arm can quite safely shovel spicy chicken tikka pasta salad down your gullet while the right navigates the vehicle round a corner.

Useful, that.

ps; still no internet access! i'm going mental!

9 Comments:

At 9:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And here I thought it was just your typical Cape Town car kitted out with trick suspension. Unusual in a Fiesta, though.

 
At 9:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wahahahaha - try driving all the way to cape town in an automatic. I hammered the brake twice when my foot looked for the clutch. At least a BMW stops when you do that. A fiesta woulda killed me ;P

 
At 10:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ant,

I used to drive an automatic... I must say I miss it allot. Especially in the traffic. And you don’t have to stress about stalling the car or it rolling back...

And like you say, your left hand is free to eat, talk on your cell or putting on lip-gloss. :)

Then again... the sporty side of a manual is just as nice.

I will go for an automatic again in the future, but then it must have more power than my previous car.

Good luck and Enjoy!!

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

For a spot of fun, tuck your right leg under the seat and try braking anf accelerating with you left leg.

I tried it once, get a bit freaky though..will try to avoid any pasta munching drivers.

 
At 4:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've attempted to drive my bf's automatic once or twice. And I always end up hitting the brake violently, thinking it's a clutch. Ouch.

 
At 4:22 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

kyk - if only! and speaking of fiestas, the poor thing doesn't handle the road's curves as well as ant does. which is a dangerous discovery to make driving down the windy hout bay road in the dead of night when no-one was around to help me!

chewwie - i won't even ask why you attempted that. and, for a rare change, i'll say thank god for beemers, eh?

somali - i've never driven an automatic that had power. then again, i've virtually never driven an automatic. good luck!

rev - you've been warned! and on this matter let's stick to the convention as best we can, eh?

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger ATW said...

Unconditioned cars?

Does it have dandruff too?

 
At 8:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Automatic transmissions rock, once you get used to them. All cars will be automatic one day (albeit in today's top-of-the-line form). I mean, can you imagine driving a space ship with a manual transmission?!

I once almost bought an Audi A4 tiptronic, loved it. That being said, you need power for an auto equipped vehicle to be pleasant to drive, otherwise it's just a pain in the ass...

 
At 10:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ant,

I'm with you on this one...I HATE driving automatics. I guess it's something you have to get used to but I'm just not ready.

Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites