Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Murphy’s law is the real unidentified unified string theory

Let me not get too much out of my depth here - physics not having formed an extensive part of my tertiary education, after all – but I have come across enough evidence in my meagre existence to suggest that if there is one universal truth, one inescapable inevitability, one phenomenon that can be relied upon to always hold true, it is Murphy’s Law. I should’ve done some research here to beef up my argument, but I’ll blame the lack thereof on time constraints (read: work obligations), and will rely on you to trust me blindly, good acolytes. Especially blindly since I’m only going to present one example: yesterday’s run-in with good old Mr Murphy…

Yesterday Third Roommate and I took up our morning runs again after a brief political sojourn. After our (separate) showers, I asked him whether my outfit was appropriate for meetings with senior people from our client’s clients (I’m currently conducting a face-to-face survey on our client’s behalf). This outfit consisted of 1x fabulous black pinstripe three-quarter sleeve shirt, 2x pointy black high-heel shoes, and 1x trendy pencil skirt, made from fabric emblazoned with the old Sasko logo on it (red anchor) and “Sasko” in big red letters (I picked this showstopper up for R100 at The Space sale a few years back – each skirt was made from fabric printed with a different company’s corporate identity on it). Third Roommate thought the skirt was fine, so I made the joke that it would be rather funny if one of the companies I had to interview that day was Sasko (I didn’t have the interview list on me at the time to confirm or deny such occurrence). He retorted with the more funny scenario of me having to interview one of Sasko’s major competitors. Snortles and chuckles all round. I get into the office, check my interview setups for the day, do some admin, blah blah blah, then dash off to conduct the said interviews. First client’s client, fine. Second client’s client – starts off with the male interviewee double-checking with the receptionist that I was indeed Third World Ant when I was clearly the only female waiting in the reception area (obviously he expected someone older – the large bhindi-like zit on my forehead wasn’t helping my cause, either); once that minor issue had been um, skirted, he led me through the maze of the corporation’s meeting rooms, each one named after one of the companies in their portfolio, and lo and behold, (yes, you can all see where this is going, can’t you?) one of these rooms is named after my skirt’s fabric’s boldly advertised company’s rival – the very rival Third Roommate jokingly bandied about. Blush! So that was the real reason all the male employees/visitors I had passed had been staring, it had sweet nothing to do with my breath-taking hotness! So I chuckled and said to the guy “I guess it was a little short-sighted of me to wear this skirt on today of all days” (of course I had no damn idea the rival would be one of their companies). “You’re lucky the MD of that business is not in today – you’d be out on the pavement in no time” he said, and for a moment I believed he was being serious.

The beauty of Murphy’s law is that even Murphy knows when to hold back on being gob-smackingly obvious – he could’ve arranged it so that our meeting was in the “other” Sasko meeting room, but instead, he plonked us in the room just next to it. Subtle physics, elegantly obvious, with foresight safely predictable. I like it.

And that, kids, is all for today’s lecture. Next week: time travel in a convexly curved four-dimensional universe: a DIY approach (ok, that didn’t fool anyone, did it?)

9 Comments:

At 10:04 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

On Sasko dude, the drama continues. (Inside industry info - or notsomuch.) They're striking at the factories, and loaves of Sasko bread are missing from shelves all over the country as a result.

Hmmm.

 
At 10:13 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

I guess I'll have to hold the flag high for them on my own, then!

 
At 1:16 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Just so long as all that bread didn't make your ass look fat, I think you'll be fine.

 
At 2:09 pm, Blogger ATW said...

Loaves of bread, wearing a bag of flour to work and you expect Murphy to remain incognito?

Talking about that have you ever read any Tom Robbins books (eg Villa Incognito, Even Cowgirls..,Frog Pajamas etc)?

This site has a random Murphy Law generator.

 
At 3:53 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Rev - now that's a sore point! When I first bought the skirt, it fitted snugly but not too snugly; that has since changed, methinks... Thanks dude, you rock for opening that can of worms!

Wit - aint read any Tom Robbins (thugh I've had a few excerpts read to me) - one of those things on that bloody long list of things to do!


Shortypam - is it coincidence or is it that damn Murphy up to tricks again?

 
At 4:16 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Wit again - thought I'd waste some time playing with that Murphy's Law generator - unfortunately, the list of Laws is rather short! Ah, well, back to more urgent matters, then...

 
At 10:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hehe Ant.
Perhaps your client could just rather excuse you for being a fabulously unique individual...

 
At 11:48 am, Blogger kyknoord said...

It might be more accurate to say that Murphy's view of the Universe is more of set of clustered probabilities than actual 'laws', but it pretty much amounts to the same thing.

 
At 5:10 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Jam - you'd think, eh?

Kyk - you physicist you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites