Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Strange sights

Perhaps it was because I was in a reflective mood this weekend that I saw a number of things that affected me when normally I might have spent less time dwelling on them; perhaps because in the ‘new South Africa’ the more positive ones among us believe that the average Joe on the street is a little better off than they were before 1994; perhaps because I have a sense that I’m wasting my life being insignificant when I have had the privilege of an upbringing that provided me all that I ever needed and a thorough formal education spanning 17 years, when most South Africans have gone lacking and struggle to imagine a world tomorrow when they’ll be safer, less hungry, and more equal.

Whatever the reason, some hard-hitting realities have shattered the rose-tinted glasses I naïvely plastered to my eyes.

I teach Science classes in Alex on alternate Saturday mornings to Grade 11 and 12 pupils from schools in the area who want extra lessons to assist them through their mediocre educations, and maybe even to escape the realities of their shack-bound lives. A few weeks ago, although I had not yet started the Chemistry syllabus, because Matric prelims were looming ahead, I gave the kids a practice paper on all the sections covered in Chemistry. One quarter of the class put their heads down and started working on it, while the other three quarters stared at me blankly. When I asked what was wrong, it turned out that these kids had not done any Chemistry at all in class this year, and when I asked what they were going to do in their exams, they shrugged. Yes ladies and gentlemen, pupils at 3 schools in Alex have only had half the Science education it is their entitlement to receive. I wanted to cry at the unfairness of it all, but that would achieve nothing. So now I’m pondering the value of arranging weekend workshops to get them through the syllabus to give them a fair chance at passing their exams, and speaking to the Gauteng Department of Education to get those schools into the shit they deserve to drown in, but you’ll forgive my skepticism at the success of either of these endeavours.

Being in the same room as these children makes you forget that your worlds are so far removed from each other, and that this room you share will be the only thing you ever have in common – yes, you know that technically they must live in shacks – but in the same room as you, wearing clothes you might even wear yourself, it really doesn’t hit home. This past Saturday, I did what I usually do before class begins – I went upstairs to the bathrooms to fill a glass with water (speaking loudly for 2 hours always leaves me parched and my throat sore), but unlike usually, the door to the bathroom was closed. So I opened it, to find three naked girls washing themselves from the basin. They had clogged the drain with toilet paper in lieu of basin plugs, and were all soaped up. Startled, I apologised for interrupting, filled my glass from an unused basin, and walked out. You forget that living in a shack means no electricity, no water, probably no sewerage. You see your pupils in a wide-eyed new light; these kids wash themselves from a bucket of water filled from a neighbourhood tap, these kids perpetually smell urine and shit in the ‘streets’ of their ‘suburbs’, these kids grow up unsupervised having to fend for themselves while their parents are out trying to make money, if they’re the lucky ones, that is.

What didn’t help to lighten my mood was the fact that on Saturday night, while driving home from the theatre, I saw a number of police cars huddled on the side of Oxford Rd. As I drove past, I saw fifteen-odd very nervous-looking Indian youngsters standing on one side of the road, and the body of a black man lying in the street, covered by a plastic sheet. Now I’m not presuming the youngsters were guilty of anything – hell, perhaps the guy jumped very suddenly into the street before the driver could do anything to stop in time. What got me is that this man was there dead, alone. No-one to claim his corpse, to mourn his loss – if such people existed, they were unknowingly awaiting his return in a shack somewhere. I know that if such an unfortunate accident were to befall me, there’d be a reasonable number of concerned relatives/friends on the scene, because I am not an invisible no-one – I have a cell phone, a credit card, a driver’s licence, a salary slip.

But before I create the impression that it was all bad, bad, bad (too late, maybe!) some of this weekend’s observations made me smile… one night last week, Peas and I were paging through the lastest Cosmo and commenting on how we didn’t get the whole new rage with gladiator sandals. At our joint party on Friday night, I unwrapped a gift from Peas’ mother, to find just these – in metallic dusty pink, nogal. Peas and I traded knowing glances while I concealed howls of laughter, but I wore them on Saturday and must concede that the damn things are growing on me (Peas says they look good on me because I don’t have large calves, but much more on that later this week).

When I woke up early on Saturday morning (for the Science lesson) I heard a tapping noise from the lounge. I went to see what it was, and found that a mossie starling had made its way through the window and could not find it again to get back out. It took a good 15 minutes for the dumb thing to figure out that it was only probing half of the window ledge and that the gateway to freedom lay to its left – it is really evident where the phrase “bird-brain” comes from.

Finally, while driving through to gym on Sunday morning (a futile exercise, as I discovered Old Ed’s is closed until the end of October for an upgrade) I saw a man going for a run through the streets of Houghton… pushing his baby in a pram. Eh? I’m pretty sure that’s not what his wife had in mind when she kicked him out the door and told him to take the little tike off her hands for an hour!

8 Comments:

At 2:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ant

Your post has been voted both interesting and thought provoking.

Sadly we live in a society where most are out for number one and everyone else be damned.

Even if every South African were able to get an education what then? There are nowhere near enough jobs to go around. A very thorny problem. Wake up government, where are the incentives for the poor to pick themselves up and in doing so become productive members of society?

ps. I can't for the life of me picture a pair of metallic pink sandles. They sound interesting though :)

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Hey jon

I hear your point, but actually there is some value to increasing education: the 6% growth rate in the economy that the government is targetting cannot be met because of a lack of skilled workers/professionals to increase production to the required levels, so yes, I do believe education is important (it's a lot easier to start your own company if you are fluent in English and can do Maths, for example).

As for the shoes: gladiator bling! they're fab - haven't seen Peas put her pair on yet!

 
At 3:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) I wasn't trying to downplay the role of education, it's definitely the cornerstone for further growth and development. I was just pointing out that the available market niches are not being proactively exploited at this point in time (The big words are making my head hurt).

Maths you say? Maybe thats why my business folded :) Luckily at 24 thats hardly a train smash.

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Jon - 24, you say... do I perhaps know you? I have a strange feeling I do, and I bumped into you recently, right?

Keep the business ideas flowing and the courage high enough to try out some of them!

 
At 9:31 am, Blogger ATW said...

Hello world.
Spring has sprung, the weather is amazing. I ate one serious piece of steak on Sunday night and flattened a bottle of Dbnville Hills Shiraz. I got running hugs at the airport. The okes handing out pamphlets at the robots are grinning. The taxis drive on the road. There are not many potholes. My bakkie still chugs away.

Despite a deluge of work that never got done while I was away that was urgent when I left. I’m on top of the world.

Forgive my indulgence but sometimes, like right now, I choose to leave my dark rose-tinted shades perched on my nose.

I hear your tale but at least for another day let me live in my dream world. I’m bound to come down to earth soon.

PS. I have prepared 2 book reviews for you – the one you requested and a better one (which indirectly has led to some of above optimism) – but they’re still in longhand..

 
At 9:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ant

I've been reading both your blog and Peas' blog and have become quite a fan of both.

I wanted to commend you on your teaching work and wanted to ask for details on how to get involved. I am originally from Cape Town and used to teach teenagers English while living there, but since I relocated to Johannesburg I have been struggling to find the correct details to continue this line work.

If you could please assist me with this I would appreciate it.

 
At 11:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think we've met, haven't bumped into any past acquaintances recently at any rate. I've just been so busy with work that I barely remember the taste of alcohol (the horror!!!). I think you would be an interesting person to have a pint with if we ever did happen to meet though.

 
At 2:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ant you're too good for this world. It must be so hard for you to care so much. You set an example that humbles the rest of us. Stay strong ok.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites