Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A self indulgent moment, if you don’t mind

Oh bother. Fuck. I hate this particular time of year, it’s inevitable that while everyone gets cheerier and cheerier at the prospect of finding a new Spring lay (or making use of their current one(s) a lot more) I get broody – no, not for kids, but broody like a storm grumbling on the horizon starting its inexorable parade across the sky to piss on your party.

See, it’s that time of year when you get to tell people your year count on planet Earth has gone up another digit. And you look back on what was meant to be accomplished in those 365 (or even worse: 366) days, and on what has been accomplished, and you realize you’ve disappointed yourself again. Now, the Gilb partially ruined my self-absorbed depression by sending me an SMS on Monday saying “Baby! Keep Friday evening and Saturday morning open for me as I’ll be treating you for many things! Mwa!” – after all, it’s not possible to be in a bad mood when you get that, right? And I always distract myself from this annual reflection (deflection from reflection, if you will) by throwing a moerse party to absorb myself in the details of planning said event, but come two days before the time, it’s no longer postponeable (mmm… Word doesn’t like that one). So here goes, the “to-do” and “got done” lists.

To do

1. Move in with the Gilb, so we could finally “test” whether this long-term relationship is actually going to go anywhere
2. Get a promotion
3. Do a wine course
4. Go on a really fabulous holiday (this is an annual goal)
5. Learn German
6. Get cracking on that damn book I’m meant to write

Got done

1. Almost succeeded in ending my relationship with the Gilb, thanks to my utter stupidity. And the universe paid me back by moving him 170km away. Fair’s fair, I guess. But I did move out of home (finally!) and in with crazy Peas. Which makes this failed goal a lot easier to bear. (thanks Peas!)
2. Got a promotion (tick)
3. Did two wine courses (tick, bonus tick)
4. Go on a really fabulous holiday – hasn’t happened; have had a few memorable brief breaks, going to have to hope that the October/November Mozambique trip makes up for that
5. Bought the tapes, listened to them a few times en route to Pretoria on my last client contract (was meant to be a twice-daily thing, to while away the two hours’ drive between Jozi, there and back), then got bored. Then bought a German/English book, read two pages, then got bored again. Think I need lessons to see me through to vaguely conversant.
6. Got many Page 1’s lying about, but let’s face it, they’re not going anywhere. Will have to think a lot harder about what needs doing to make my efforts extend themselves on to pages 2 to n.

Okay, so 3 out of 6 (half a point for moving in with Peas, half a point for the bonus wine course – cutting myself some slack here) isn’t a total failure, I guess. But I am concerned that the achievements (and even the goals) get smaller and smaller every year – doesn’t that worry you, too? I’m going to hedge my bets and not say another about my goals for next year (though I’ll no doubt wax lyrical on this here blog if any are attained).

Right, going to suck this misery up, and put on a brave face for tomorrow. To cheer myself up, and give you some more blah to read, I’m going to compile a post of memorable past birthdays (like I said, they always have to be an ‘event’).

So good-bye to life as a 25-year old, hello 26…

16 Comments:

At 6:30 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Think about it this way: if you'd succeeded in point 1, you'd be living in the Poenda with the Gilb drinking klippies and swinging with Kerneels and Luanaldre(possibly insert any fucked combination of afrikaans names here).
Instead you've being smashing food and drink in your face with Peas and 3rd.
Isn't that like triple word score.
You should probably get bonus points for not having ended up in the poen.

So in summary, it's not the number of goals you've succeeded in but rather a weighting based on how the achieving(or attempts) of these goals have fundamentally changed, broadend and improved the quality of your life over the preceeding 365 days.

PS. You're not th only Virgo. Me thinks there's a few of us shorttimers about.

 
At 6:35 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

It was more about hoping the Gilb would pick a civilised life in Jozi, but thanks :)

So go on, own up and tell us when yours is then... you do come across as a total Virgo, by the by :)

 
At 6:53 am, Blogger ATW said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.
The challenge is working out which items on the list are goals and which are dreams. I saw a corny note posted in a elevator of all places that suggests if you don't try every day to achieve the goals then they lose their status as goals and a reduced to dreams. Enough of the Dr Phil twat though.

Just remember where you were at earlier in the year?





lift of between which the

 
At 9:00 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Oh my little PK!
I share your pain. Woe is us dollface. But big points for moving in with little old me, I wouldn't have it any other way.
;)

Here's to our joint birthday - may it come fast and end merrily.

You've achieved much my little overacheiver - more than the average man on the street, so give yourself a biggie up for that. xxx

 
At 10:13 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the both of you need to can the pity party. like your lives are so bad. peas's is single which suck ass but ant, you've got a guy that you love, who loves you. yes, he lives a few hours away but its not a plane ride. you've got a well-paying job that you dig (mostly) and both of you are blessed with having probably the coolest hanger-on of all time lurking about your flat. this is just one birthday closer to absolute fulfillment. get over it...

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger ATW said...

WTF is that hanging bit of random free form verse at the end of my last comment? Where did that come from?

 
At 10:22 am, Blogger Dan Lurie said...

nice..

 
At 10:25 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Hate to say it, 3RM is right. But 3RM, remember that misery loves company, so at least The Ant and I have each other through this one. :)

 
At 10:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i of all people can't argue with that. suffice to say there's always negative shit to harp about if one looks for it. at the very least, your birthday is an oppurtunity to get drunk with your friends and be the centre of everyone's universe for the day

 
At 10:41 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Wit - too true, have made reasonable attempts at most of them. The ultimate goal/dream that i've GOT to achieve is the winefarm, age 35. No two ways about it.

As for the mystery floater... who knows?

Peas - aye aye! We're just going to have to make our 30's even more merrier than the 20's, right?

3rm - fuck off. give me my misery for a week, will you? i'll be better company then. ps: love ya, hanger-on...

other-duke - eh? don't tell me you're siding with the hanger-on! I need some self-pity time, cut me some slack, mkay?

 
At 10:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how terribly poetic

 
At 10:58 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

3rm - I try.

Shorty - thanks babe! There's plenty left on the list of things to do, I'll toast to the earnest attempts to get the done!

 
At 8:21 am, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Who's a big girl now..hahaha
Happy Birthday for today.
Lose that woe is me attitude you had yesterday and get your groove on.
You're queen for a day and today is that day...let the Gilb spoil you rotten. ;)

 
At 9:16 am, Blogger Dan Lurie said...

HAPPY third-world BIRTHDAY!!

Have a good one ;)

 
At 9:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Those were all fantastic goals...and perhaps sometimes you may not get the whole thing, but even pieces are better than nothing at all. Baby steps.

 
At 11:17 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Thanks guys for the birthday wishes... feeling cheerier today, I must admit - it's difficult to be upset on Spring Day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites