Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Monday, March 06, 2006

One of those weeks….

…..where you want to curl up in bed and cry all day long. Last Monday, in a very short space of time, I was informed (in order of occurrence and importance) that:

1) Engi’s sister, TK had died from a drug overdose in a hotel room
2) My poor family dog was on his death bed – seemingly from being poisoned/kicked hard – now we know that it was a rare bacterial infection he contracted
3) My toe was broken

So, you’ll pardon me for not posting sooner. Today, a week later, and I am happier to report that my dog is recovering, my toe will eventually recover, and that hopefully poor TK’s family are in the process of recovering from the loss of their sister/daughter and the relentless media coverage of it.

Since January 1st, I’ve been bombarded with unhappy news from my friends and family, as though there has been a grief virus infecting all those dear to me. The collective toll now stands at the loss of two parents, one sister, one sister’s sanity, almost a dog, almost a friend in another dreadful car accident, a robbery, two relationships.

When I broke my toe, the maddening pain was rapidly replaced with an overwhelming sense of relief – that maybe this final, very tangible pain that I had experienced directly (as opposed to happening to someone I care for) had broken the curse, that a dark malevolent cloud had finally dispersed, and my beloved ones could be happy again.

To broken toes, and better months ahead…

4 Comments:

At 9:43 am, Blogger ATW said...

Hey cheer up old girl. I know its one of those years. Have had one of those so far myself, but have this weird feeling that by Dec 2006 we'll look back on this year as one of great change and that it'll all be worth it. I am concerned about what's happened to Peas? where has she gone? has her man insisted that she remove all trace of their relationship from the blogosphere?

 
At 11:22 am, Blogger Billy said...

Sorry to hear of you hard times Ant, my heartfelt commiserations. Upward and onward!

 
At 1:54 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

atw - thanks for the enocuragement, i hope you're right about this year being worth the pain. Peas has changed her blog address so her ex doesn't indulge his nosy self more into her private space... mushypeasontoast.

Billy - upward and onward indeed! Today, my greatest distress was the realisation that I'm not going to be able to wear heels for the next 6-8 weeks, and Murphy's Law has it that I have 2 important functions this week where heels are required!

 
At 8:56 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Ant - I love you guy. With a heart the size of yours, a lot of your close ones depend on you for support.
Let's hope that things get better - they've got ot right? xx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites