Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Calculate the number of people who bought Audi's in SA in 2005

Due to our company's severe employee shortage, I've been sucked into the recruitment function, to the point of the ridiculous. I was asked to interview someone for a position higher than me on the chain - can you imagine the questions I'd ask? "So, Bob, if you gave me a huge workload to do and I told you to sod off, what would you do?" I'd turn down the applications of anyone who said they'd report me to the MD. But the interviewee cancelled so that scenario never came to fruition.

Instead, today I was asked to interview two people who would come in at entry level, just one wee step below me on the food chain. Being a business consultancy, our company normally asks interviewees to complete a case study, to gauge their general awareness of the SA economy and their logical and analytical abilities. We give them no information, but want to see how they think and solve problems.

The first interviewee was so bad she doesn't warrant mentioning. The second one showed quite a lot of promise during the general questions session, then crashed and burned in the case study. For your enjoyment, I take you through the case study proposed to him (the same as the title of this post). Let's call him X and me TWA:

X: Right, firstly, there are plus/minus 3 million people in SA.

TWA: What kind of fuckwad are you? There are more people in Cape Town! Aloud: I see...

X: Then, the cost of an Audi is at least R200,000...

TWA: typical guy. knows all about cars. lucky this time. Aloud: Uh-huh.

X: Of the 3 million South Africans, only 1.5 million will earn a salary of R200,000 and above, to afford to buy an Audi.

TWA: Is this nutcase for real? Do you know we live in a third world country, mister? With an unemployment rate almost up to 30%, and a population skewed towards a generation that is too young to work legally in the first place? And that those who do have jobs are usually blue-collar workers? Have you heard about the on-going nation-wide union strikes for better wages? Have you ever left your privileged little suburb and ventured into the real SA? Aloud: Okay.

X: And I think about 1 million of those people will buy a new Audi in 2005.

TWA: Riiiiiiiiiight. So everyone who can afford to buy a new car does so each year, and two out of every three cars on the streets are Audis. Aloud: Don't you think that's a little high?

X: You're right - let's say 500,000 buy a new Audi.

TWA: Still nowhere close. How quickly can I get rid of this fool? Aloud: And what do the 1 million other new cars comprise?

X: Um, 500,000 Beemers, 300,000 Alfas and 200,000 Mercedes Benzes.

TWA: So what car do you drive?

X: A Toyota.

TWA: I see. Thanks for your time, we'll get back to you very, very shortly with our decision.

13 Comments:

At 8:33 pm, Blogger ATW said...

In South Africa, Audi managed to sell 12 002 units during 2005 which represents a 19 percent increase on the full year figures for 2004.

Do I get the job?

 
At 9:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shocking absolutely shocking...
probably wouldn't have done much better but would have got the pop close on right!

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

TWA hire ATW. Not only do you share the same abbreviated blog-name letters, but you share the fact that both of you have a brain more sizeable than that of an amoeba.

Unless of course ATW found those figures online. Which is highly plausible due to the accuracy of research.

:)

 
At 11:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon guys, wouldn't it just be wonderful to exist in these ignoramuses' little "blue-pill" world?
(Matrix blue pill, not the other blue pill)

Imagine a life of complete and utter detachment from reality. Perfect in every aspect. Not a care in the world. Life would be so simple.

Delusions of Third World Utopia...?

 
At 11:26 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

ATW - nice try buddy! Now can you show that by calculation?!

Peas - Can't hire ATW! I already told him I love him, that would be contravening office policy ;) But yes, he certainly has a brain larger than a amoeba...

Shaun - it's no coincidence that geniuses (in science, in music, in art etc) were often very tortured souls... ignorance is truly bliss, and I'm a relatively happy person!

 
At 12:23 pm, Blogger Antoine said...

Respect!

The fact that you kept a straight face and did not burst out laughing and ask the lad what planet he lives on deserves Kudo's of note.

I on the other hand would have tossed the lad out on his butt as soon as he underestimated the population of SA by 10, or (more likely) only mentioned the white population - and still buggered it up)

But then again - I am in construction and we toss people out the door on a regular basis for being inane.

 
At 1:37 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Antoine - he wasn't even white, so that definitely had better not have been his excuse!

Today I heard I've been appointed the official new analyst recruiter. Can I ask you to come on over and toss out the useless recruitees that waste my time?

 
At 4:02 pm, Blogger Antoine said...

Hey with pleasure!

It would get me to SA more often. *g*

Mind you my tour of duty is over at the end of the year.

 
At 4:14 pm, Blogger ATW said...

How could you guys doubt me. Of course I calculated it, check out my workings at audi.co.za , I mean here. Pity it's too small to read.
Do amoebas have brains? Anyway glad to hear mine's a little bigger.
TWA - doesn't your chief new recruiter role allow you to get past all the policy stuff?
Shaun - that's why I drink too much - though I never quite get to the "complete and utter detachment from reality" bit (Peas has some stories though.) Have a great weekend all.

 
At 4:18 pm, Blogger Billy said...

Classic! I love stupid people!

 
At 4:27 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

ATW - that you went to the trouble of setting up a spreadsheet to calculate the number of Audis sold is impressive! You're hired, romance policies aside!

I particularly enjoy your fiddling of number to arrive at 12,002 :)

 
At 4:29 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Billy - me too! What would we do without them?

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger ATW said...

"Have a great weekend all." REALITY CHECK and real bummer - just realised it's still Thursday and still a day to go. Pvs link is dead soTry this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites