Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What won’t make you stronger will kill you

Talk about a cosmic hint. Spurred on by the fact that the fabulous satin dress I bought for Friday night’s function is a tad on the I-can’t-breathe-otherwise-the-seams-will-tear tight side, I decided to go to the gym this morning (yes, completely irrational, I know). Coupled with the fact that I haven’t been in ages, I feel a cold coming on, so I foresaw a bit of strain. What I didn’t foresee was just how much.

After hacking around on the steppy machine and doing a brief circuit, I decided I’d brave the treadmill. In my fitter moments, I’m quite a runner, but today I got on, started at 8.5 km/h, and got an instant cramp. Fok voort, I told myself – this session is costing me R289 (I’m unlikely to go again this month after the experience), or more likely R1,189 if I’m being honest with myself (haven’t gone since January, you see. I blame my broken toe, of course). I even convinced myself to turn the speed up to 10 km/h, and my red face turned purple, my wheezing concurrently turning to spluttering. Still, there were people around, so to save (my purple) face, I continued. After twenty painful minutes, I climbed off – chin in the air – and virtually crawled to the showers. Still spluttering in the shower, I accidentally got water in my mouth, swallowed it incorrectly and starting coughing so violently the woman in the shower next to me came over to see if I was okay. (I wasn’t). Then, as though fate hadn’t bitch-slapped me enough this morning, I dropped my sample of very expensive shampoo down the fucking drain. F@%^*#!!!

But the coup d’etat came when I emerged from the shower to change into my work clothes. I left my bra at home. And there was no chance in hell that I’d put on the sweaty gym bra instead. So, fed up with the morning’s events, I decided fuck that, I’m not going to make my day better by returning home to retrieve the underwear, I’m just going to work hanging free.

Thus there will be no bounce in my step today, for two reasons.

10 Comments:

At 12:06 pm, Blogger GoDsGiMp said...

Ant im a little worried that you carry around samples of shampoo.. Well i suppose, they are small and disposable...

 
At 12:30 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

! Fair point, gimp. So small and disposable that they can fall down the drain at the gym!

thanks for the concern, I'll never carry shampoo samples around again... but I'll probably never go to gym again either, so unlikely to be tempted anyway :)

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Shame babe - glass of vino when the day is over? :)

 
At 9:54 am, Blogger ATW said...

1. Only one glass (of vino)?
2. Screwcap or cork?
3. Never realised that underwear affected the way you walk.
4. 20 minutes at 10km/h - most impressed?

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

ATW

1 - last night I had one only. One bottle between three people = 1 glass each!

2 - it was cork, happily not tainted

3 - it does if you have to walk with minimal bouncing to ensure the boobies don't flap around too noticeably!

4 - normally do it at 12 km/h, without spluttering the way I did yesterday.

 
At 8:43 am, Blogger kyknoord said...

As long as you're not letting it all hang out, everything should be okay.

 
At 3:47 pm, Blogger Antoine said...

Well at least one area will be bouncing *wicked grin*

 
At 5:10 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

kyknoord - kept the hanging out to a bare minimum

antoine - one of my colleagues I'm sneakily suspicious reads my blog kept looking at me funny all day. I kept checking myself in the mirror in the bathroom to test that it wasn't terribly noticeable I was one layer of clothing short!

 
At 1:40 pm, Blogger ATW said...

Hope that the Friday night bash in said satin dress went down well.

When are you trading Max in? Or are you still working too hard to avoid the debt-trap?

 
At 8:29 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Max is still in my possession, car troubles and all :) I just can't seem to let him go... yet. Though that gorgeous Mazda 3 still makes me gasp every time one zooms past.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites