Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Thursday, May 11, 2006

tWITS vs fUJs (former fRAUds)

I advise that if you’re an alumnus of the tertiary institution a stone’s throw away from WITS, you don’t read this post. I’m quite willing to admit that I’m far from impartial in my views on the two institutions, given that I’m a Witsie. I do however, date a man who is quite a proud graduate from UJ (why they still insist on calling it RAU, I have no idea. The name and logo have changed, the university grounds have expanded to include five campuses, black people now actually attend this university), so many of my views have been further incensed by boyfriend/girlfriend rivalry (I am told that I am fiercely competitive, after all).

Anyway, last night he graduated with a double degree in Mechancial Engineering and IT. Having attended a number of WITS graduation ceremonies, I’m quite schooled in the proceedings. What follows is a comparison of the WITS versus RAU events, to show you how being all of 2km apart can make the world of difference.




So what is my point? Do I think fUJ’s are racists whose mentalities are stuck back in the 1940s? Not at all. But I do think their graduation ceremony needs a bit of an upgrade to reflect the social changes our country has undergone (and especially since the conversion from RAU to UJ, the social changes that institution has undergone – more so than WITS, even).

Oh, and on a final note: congrats to the Gilb! Ek is vreeslik trots op jou! My rantings above do not diminish the great accomplishment of your degrees…

5 Comments:

At 11:58 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

f@ck. didn't realise the pics would come out so small. too lazy to remove it and write out properly!

 
At 9:20 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

hectic dude. I wonder if I can find similar info on Rhodes to put Small Bum in his place? (His is the ultimate fan of my glorious institution UCT afterall...)

 
At 10:59 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

There's definitely some dirt somewhere out there, we'll find it. Little dorpie universities always have many skeletons in the closest, after all :)

 
At 12:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoooo boy! Nice comparison table!

BTW, our parents' generation aren't impressed about the UJ name, their Wits degrees all say Johannesburg University or similar.

 
At 2:31 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

A lot of our generation aren't impressed with the name change, either, for different reasons. But if you think about it, most universities around the world are names after the cities/regions they're based in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites