Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Diary of a day in CT

I spent a fabulous day in Cape Town yesterday, all for the very important meeting with our company’s website designers to finalise its content… this is how the day went – if only every Tuesday could be as pleasant:

4:30 – wake up! Wash, change, drag an assortment of bags and folders to the car, head to the airport. Try an experiment: test airport security by leaving my Leatherwoman in a zipped pocket in my bag

6:15 – Kulula my way to CT (first time in my experience that any Kulula flight’s left on time!), head on to Imperial Cars to pick up my pond-scum rental, only to be informed that I’ve been given a free upgrade (Ford Ikon, hardly an upgrade if you ask me, but hey, had a free radio. Plus a bag of mints – shweet!) Given my need to stare at Table Mountain at every possible second (even if it involves frequent 180 degree turns of my head) I decide to upgrade the rental premium to reduce the excess in case of an accident

8:30 – 9:25 – staring at the magic mountain while dodging scary CT drivers (and I do believe their taxi drivers have finally caught up with the full suite of bad manners and illegal road maneuvers that our Jozi ones are famed for)

9:25 – 9:30 – marveling at how much Long Street has changed since I last was there in the middle of last year – it now sports more upmarket stores such as Caroline’s Fine Wines and Gourmet Burgers, but I was relieved to see that that reliably dodgy old institution, Mr Pickwicks, is still around (how much longer, I wonder – the rent will probably shoot up soon)

9:30 – 10:15 – meeting with the website designers in Kloof St. I’m so damn organised, it took a lot less time than anticipated (although I’ll not pass this information on to my boss!)

10:15 – 11:00 – shopping on Kloof! Despite the fact that I have less that zero money this month (anticipated cost of 4 x dentist visits this month = R10,000; car service just cost me R6,500; gifts & birthday costs = R800; Gilb anniversary gift = reasonably pricey; long weekend in Durbs = probably R2,500) I felt the need to burn even bigger holes in my credit card. This little shop called Nylon on Kloof had some great deals, which coupled with the fact I scored a date with the manager (obviously unable and disinclined to accept), made me feel obliged make to a purchase (or two). The goods: a silver flower-shaped ring, and a mini-mini-mini denim pleated skirt (more on this purchase in the ‘Fat Post’, to follow later this week).

11:00 – 11:20 – staring at the magic mountain while dodging scary CT drivers en route to Kirstenbosch, where I can see the other side of the magic mountain.

11:20 – 1:00 – walk around Kirstenbosch, often backwards, staring at the magic mountain – are you starting to get the picture that I’m a little obsessed? Keep the sea, I say, gee net vir Jozi die Tafel asseblief! Chuckle at the colourful language of dozens of coloured grannies who mysteriously descend on the gardens in a large, noisy group.

1:00 – 2:00 – eat lunch at the coffee shop, every now and then doing you-know-what to look at the you-know-what. Sigh! So beautiful! Get immensely disappointed at a call informing me that Peas’ friends had decided to cancel the real surprise I had planned for her last night (I’ll get you yet, Peas!), but recover rapidly because the beautiful mountain does wonders for my mood.

2:00 – 4:00 – play the dutiful employee (and geeky yuppie) by whipping out my laptop, positioning myself in full view of the lovely hunk of famous CT rock, and working solidly for 2 hours (probably got more done than I would do in Jozi in 5 hours, thanks to the absence of the Internet)

4:00 – 4:30 – staring at the magic mountain while dodging scary CT drivers en route to the airport (yes, all good things come to an end).

4:30 – 8:30 – get seriously close to finally finishing Paul Theroux’s “The Mosquito Coast”, which I promised myself I would complete before starting on my much-awaited “The Annotated Alice” – 60 pages to go.

8:30 – emerge from the airport to my familiar and much-beloved Jozi skyline, with my Leatherwoman still firmly in my possession – seems airport security’s a little slack, eh?

10:30 – try to devise good reasons to go back to CT to have another absolutely critical meeting with the website designers (nothing convincing as yet… any ideas?)

8 Comments:

At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll eventually go live there, I love CT (even the crappy weather). Great vibe.

Just a bit curious as to why you had to go to CT to find a suitable website designer? Are the JHB guys not up to scratch?

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Very beautiful, but maybe less buzz than Jozi - I can't make up my mind whether or not I'd be able to live there. But definitely a great place for a holiday.

As for website designers, the ones with experience in the financial services industry I am in, are few and far between. So few and far between in fact, that there is only one, and that one is based in CT, and is charging us a bloody fortune!

 
At 3:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmm, interesting, as a software developer myself would you mind elaborating on the special functionality that your website requires, the geek in me is curious :). I've developed a few websites as well over the years but nothing to do with financial services.

Actually come to think of it a friend of mine does a lot of work for FNB regarding their online services.

 
At 4:01 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

I Ant, I have to agree with the others - it's a website. We develope web applications within the financial services industry and their are quite a few roleplayers that I know of.

I'm cannot fathom the need to have a website designer with financial services experience. If you know what you nedd/want just about any design firm could do it.

As to how to get you back to Cape Town, easy. Just Give us the site url. Will have someone hack the site. This may neccessitate an urget meeting with the web designers.

Why not choose a design firm in London or Paris. Then you'd have to travel there to see them and of course shop.

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

jon - not so much any special functionality, it's more about the company's experience in putting together a site that would appeal to our types of clients (CEO's, MD's of major organisations) - my boss wanted a company who had dealt with similar types of firms to ours, basically he wanted them to have had prior experience. Check out Bridge Capital's site - same web designer.

Rev - you evil genius you! Of course, my credit card can handle no further abuse at this point...

As for your point about "knowing what you want" - well that's just it, my boss didn't want a web designer who just did what we told them, he wanted them to be far more interactive in giving ideas about the way the website should look, what kind of content it required etc etc.

Sorry to have infuriated all the techie dudes!

 
At 6:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No worries Ant, thanks for satisfying my curiosity :)

Bridge Capital has a nice clean design but pretty standard fare as far as content goes. No more nitpicking on my part, promise :)

Check out Digiguru , one of the best designers that I've come across, all flash though.

 
At 10:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Kirstenbosch! And I love the mountain on that side of Kirstenbosch too.

 
At 3:03 pm, Blogger KaB said...

Sweety, if I could, I'd buy the bloody mountain & pitch my tent just under Devil's Peak, facing the setting sun! That rock is the shit!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites