Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Fat Post

Okay: first things first – happy birthday Peas! Sorry you’re not in Jozi to celebrate, but something tells me you’re having a grand old time with the Rhodents! Hugs and kisses, I’m glad you decided to jump on the bandwagon and join the 26-ers.

Now, on to the subject of the title:

In my mind, I’ve always been 56 (kilograms, that is) not 57. In fact, I still feel 56. Unfortunately, all evidence to the contrary…

It all started, not on a dark and stormy night as most such horror stories aptly begin, but rather on the pleasant evening after my birthday picnic before we hit the Colon. I asked 3rm if my usually hot blue pants looked smashing, and he said “errrr… no. definitely not” (he’s horribly honest like that). Okay I thought, they’ve just come out of the wash, they’ve obviously shrunk a little, I’ll stretch them out some other time when rude 3rm is not about.

Then, the other day, I decided to go to gym (primarily because I couldn’t face up to the thought of showering in our very blocked-drained shower), and as an after-thought, I stood on the scale. Let me say outright that I do not believe in weighing yourself – it’s more about how your clothes fit you and how toned you look (and of course how fit you feel); the number on the scale has a very rough correlation to all of this. But I thought, hell Ant, you haven’t weighed yourself in about 3 years, let’s see what it says. Thinking, of course, that it would show what I have always thought was my approximate weight in recent times – 56ish kg. Especially since 3rm and I have been running quite regularly for the past two weeks – I thought there might even be a nice surprise in store with me coming in closer to 55ish. Not so at all. “57,4!” the heartless scale boasted. Still, ever the optimist, I assumed this was all due to the fact that it wasn’t first thing in the morning, and I’d consumed practically a litre of water after my workout in thirst.

But then, because I’m slow at reaching conclusions and the universe is unrelenting in its need to humiliate me, my mysterious expansion was revealed to me elsewhere. On Sunday, 3rm and I went shopping for Peas’ gift in Rosebank, and naturally I got distracted by The Space, and even more naturally I found two dresses I wanted to try on. So I did what I would normally do, which is take the items in a size 34 (a.k.a. size 10), drag 3rm to the change room and parade the said garb in front of him. Except the first dress was toight (damn these designers! They can never stick to conventional sizings! – see how slow I can be?), and the second even toighter (um, that’s weird. It’s a different designer, I’ve just had a number of similar experiences recently – could that mean it’s me? But then that would mean… gasp! That would mean that I’m… I’m…) And so the penny dropped. Denial is a powerful, powerful thing.

So in Cape Town on Tuesday, I broke a rule of mine: it’s my policy not to buy any item of clothing thinking “it’ll fit me properly when I lose weight” – we all know it’s rare that you do, and the clothes just end up never being worn. But my irrational rationale told me to buy the mini-mini-mini skirt (in a size 36 of course, but this I’m positive is cut too small, and I’m sticking by this whether you believe me or not) and force myself to wear it in public. I’d be so self-conscious about the fact that I looked 57 in it, that this would give me the oomph to shed the dastardly kilo and then cavort around in it as a heavenly 56. Anyone buying my logic? 3rm, I hope you realise this means we can’t ever stop running - in fact, I think we aught to up our daily efforts by a km or two!

PS: unrelated, but certainly worth mentioning – I hope you all heard the news that Australians have gone on the rampage following news of Steve Irwin’s death – dozens of stingrays have been found needlessly slaughtered on Australia’s beaches as humans felt the need to take their revenge for Steve’s death. Stop the madness!

PPS: do you pronounce “kilometer” with the “kilo” bit as you would in “kilogram”, or is the emphasis on the “o”? It drives me truly mental that it shouldn’t follow convention with other “kilo” pronunciations.

13 Comments:

At 11:03 am, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

As long as you're happy with yourself, cause you're your own worst critic.

So posted something for you.

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Rev - generally I am, just a bit unnerved that this means that since leaving highschool I've put on about 0.6kg each year. Which means when I'm 30, I'll be 59.8, when I'm 40 I'll be 65.8, when I'm 50 I'll be 71.8. (and what size does that translate to in clothes, I wonder?)

Gulp! Having trouble reconciling with that...

Peanut - like I said, it's not the physical number, it's the clothes size that disturbs me! I honestly believed I'd lost a little girthwise, simply because I have been running so damn much. I'm not about to go out and buy a scale for the purpose of obsessing with it - what will be will be, I s'pose. I still get to bitch about it though!

Will be feeling rather awkward parading about in Secunda in my mini-mini-mini this weekend, that's for sure!

 
At 2:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Technically, it should be pronounced kee-low-mee-tuh, but like many other things, seems to have gone its own way.

 
At 2:45 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Kyk - and in a British English country like ours, spelt "kilometre" and not "kilometer" as I spelt it in my post!

 
At 4:47 pm, Blogger ATW said...

Answers.com has the following to say:

USAGE NOTE Although the pronunciation of kilometer with stress on the second syllable, (kĭ-lŏm'ĭ-tər), is often censured because it does not conform to the stress pattern in millimeter and centimeter (it originally came about by false analogy with barometer and thermometer), it continues to thrive in American English. In a recent survey, 69 percent of the Usage Panel preferred this pronunciation, while 29 percent preferred the pronunciation (kĭl'ə-mē'tər).

The brits say this though:
The traditional British English pronunciation of kilometre has the stress on the first syllable, ‘KIL-o-me-tre’, as in other words beginning with kilo- or ending with -metre, e.g. kilogram and millimetre. You’ll often hear an alternative pronunciation with the stress on the second syllable (as in barometer and thermometer), but this is disliked by some people as an Americanism.

As for me, I must be part American...

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger ATW said...

I get heavier when I get fitter. But that's quite a rare affliction I guess. I put on weight during basic training for instance. Maybe you're not getting fatter just fitter? But it's probably got something to do with that growing Chilean red wine habit of yours..and I'm not sure if that's worth giving up just to squeeze into a skirt.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

ATW - thanks for that - whenever I muse something without using Google to find the answer, you dutifully rise to the challenge!

As for weight issues - I'd have expected to put on weight if I was gymming and muscle-building, but does cardio activity have the same effect? I'd really have thought it wouldn't. And the Chilean wine will always come out tops, I can promise you that! (in fact, so will the pasta, the aubergine paste, the rare fillets, the chocolate-chip ice-cream, creme brulee, etc etc)

 
At 1:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

1kg is not a big deal. keep up the running, cut back on the alcohol and watch it vanish. I agree with peanut - methinks it may just be some muscle! Whatever you do, don't put a toe into Young Designers - that's bound to freak any normal sized person out (they only appear to make clothing for anorexics)

 
At 3:26 pm, Blogger Boomkind said...

It's the running, drink enough and you'll puke out any food you've eaten. Good diet that

 
At 9:25 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Jam, Boomkind - I really didn't drink much alcohol this weekend at all, does that help? I also consumed two burgers and a gigantic pizza!

 
At 8:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

buy tramadol in florida tramadol hcl and vicodin - tramadol hcl drug

 
At 10:53 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moopygall Arian Foster Womens Jersey Brooks Reed Authentic Jersey Brooks Reed Womens Jersey Dientwicilt

 
At 2:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dry penis sizegenetics Dry and flaking sizegenetics about the penis can often lead to soreness if left untreated. Dry sizegenetics can occur due to the fact result of friction from sex or from sensitivity to certain cleansers along with sizegenetics that are often found in condoms. Treating the sizegenetics along with a moisture-rich formula (shea butter is often recommended by dermatologists for sensitive penis sizegenetics) can help to keep the sizegenetics smooth and supple and then to retain its natural hydration.Penis rash Penis rash, which may result from dry sizegenetics, sensitivity to chemicals that include soaps or sizegenetics, or fungal infections, may cause soreness, itching and discomfort.
http://sizegenetics-reviewx.tumblr.com/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites