Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Car parade

Yes, I know you’re all wanting to know about the weekend’s test-driving. And there are a few surprises to reveal.

Firstly, let me tell you that I’ve come to the conclusion everyone has an “expert” opinion on which car you should buy, all with valid reasons as to why their car choice is the best, but very seldom do people’s choice of best car coincide. Thus, I’ve realised, it’s a choice best made by me, for me.

With that in mind, do not criticise me for my spur-of-the-moment two-lane crossing manouevre along Beyers Naude (as did the irate drivers around me, with good reason) to pull into a Mercedes Benz showroom. (Inyoka, alas don’t get too excited, it wasn’t really the Smart I was there for). What impulsively drew my attention was the *deep breath* new A Class. I know, I know, it’s distinctively a mum’s car, but they do have the sport kit for a not-yet-a-mum-heck-not-even-married feel. What put me off was the sheer arrogance of the dealership: it’s stupid that they won’t let you drive a car right then and there, knowing you’re going to walk straight out of their shop and into a competitor’s showroom, where you might immediately drive another car and fall in love with it, and prefer their friendlier customer service, and decide “Hell, who needs a Merc anyway?” I’m still waiting for the finance guy to call me.

So, despite the sheer joy I would get from driving a car no-one on this planet would expect me to drive this car falls to the bottom of my list. (Is that a sigh of relief I hear?) Surprisingly, the Gilb is actually quite in favour of this car, citing reliability, good vehicle (if not customer) service and a nice price for what it offers as reasons to buy this ‘mobile.

Next up, we went to a Mini dealership, where I got to test drive a Chili Cooper (ladies: it was cream with a black roof; gentlemen: 17-inch rims), where I had a great time terrifying the 18-year-old child that had to ‘supervise’ me on my drive, by chatting (which for me, a certified wop, means with both hands off the steering wheel, gesticulating wildly), all the while looking sideways at the Gilb, and driving at 100 km/h down a windy suburban street. I also forced him to allow me to reverse-park (reverse is actually my favourite gear, I’ve always wanted a car that had a second reverse gear) back at the showroom. The verdict: quite a nippy little thing, but while I was set on the cream version, I’ve decided I like the Astro Black better (black but with little sparkly blue bits, giving it a midnight blue appearance), though not certain whether this should be black bottom and top, or black bottom with white top and side mirrors, and in the latter case, (dare I even think it) perhaps the white stripes down the front. I nearly fainted at the difference in the price between the Cooper and the Cooper S, so regrettably, will not be looking at that option, but the vehicle would have 17-inch rims and a sun-roof, that’s got to count for something, right? The first dealer I went to told me my instalments would be R2,132 per month – I was over the moon, expecting somewhat more – but on closer inspection the sneaky saleswoman had put in a residual value of R97,000. So I spurned her, and went to a better dealership where they gave me the full gory instalment. Fright!

Then. At the Gilb’s insistence, I tried out another car. I won’t tell you yet what this was, suffice to say it’s a slightly more upmarket (I think) competitor to the Ford Focus. It purrs like a deranged tiger, and would outrace the Mini and Merc any day. It has 6-speed transmission (the weirdo salesman asked if I’d like to try the automatic or the manual. Duh), quite a formidable exterior, although admittedly the interior is not quite as stylish as (yet infinitely more spacious than) the Mini. The excitement of buying this car is that, once again, no-one would expect me to be thinking of buying this car, but for quite the opposite reasons suggested by the Merc. Also, I’d definitely get this one in black, and would even break my no-customised-plates rule because its number plates would simply have to be: SWRT GVR. That ironic (yet simultaneously thoroughly appropriate) gimmick is almost too much to resist, and could sway the decision in this car’s favour.

Of course, no mention of my beloved Alfa. Folks, I can’t resist – much to everyone’s mystified horror, I cannot buy a car without giving my first love a test-drive first. This is the Scarlett Johansson of motor vehicles, and who wouldn’t want to ride her? (Scarlett, if you or your agent or publicity monitors are reading this, I’m sorry to objectify you like that. I worship you for so much more than your lesbian fantasy appeal. Mmmmm…)

So. No more mention of cars until the decision is made. It has to happen in the next few weeks, or not at all this year.

26 Comments:

At 1:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lemme guess : swrt gvr is a SEAT?

 
At 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm....interesting. can't wait to see what you'll choose. wish i could do the whole looking for a car bit again..it's load of fun!

 
At 2:24 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Urk: nope! Do Seats have 6-speed transmission? Wow, maybe I should check one out...

Storm: neither can i, trust me. i'm nervous at the costs - that much money is scary! but, it has to be done...

 
At 3:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its a Audi....

 
At 3:24 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Subaru??

Have you though about keeping the Corsa and getting a bike??

Nothing quite like a deep, steady , powerful throbbing between your legs while waiting for the lights to change so that you can really open up. ;)

Also with the GautPain related traffic congestion, maybe not a bad idea. Get sidecar to transport Peas home when she's pissed...LOL

 
At 3:42 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Billy: nope! (I rally like the Audi, but too many people I know have one, hence the need to break free from the trend. I know you enjoy yours!)

Rev: nope! Not living in the Poenda yet, mate. As delicious as a deep, steady, powerful thrusting between my legs sounds (mmmm!), I'd be too terrified of being pancaked by a metal-encased moron driver not indicating and suddenly changing lanes as I zoomed past. Call me a sissy...

This guessing game's quite fun, innit?

 
At 4:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ja. and they are based on the golf V platform, so reliability etc is same as VW. so if you arent too worried about resale value, and think a polo gti is naff, five them a drive

 
At 4:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please dont say peugeot, citroen or renault.pretty please.

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

John Deere?? You smaak to drive a trekker?

 
At 4:54 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

urk: no Frenchies, promise! A little more... oriental. and super reliable. But that's giving away too much...

Rev: That would be fantastic, wouldn't it? I could chew straw on the M1 North while 'traccing' to the office. A friend of mine once said he wanted to drive a cement mixer so he could pour cement over anyone behind him who pissed him off!

 
At 5:09 pm, Blogger Urk said...

honda jazz?

 
At 6:06 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Urk: close!

 
At 9:01 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Well that leaves only the Honda Civic VTEC and the Toyata RunX RSI.

Please note that at this price, it's similarlr priced as the Mini Cooper S which out accelerates and is faster than both of these.

 
At 10:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to drive the Brera while you're at it. The 3.2l 4wd one gave me goosebumps, turning in to jan smuts, full throttle, four wheels clawing us around and back to the dealership... mmmmm! Chat to Irina Lukina at Arnold Chatz 011 880 5054 or 083 951 6244 and say you want the one with the glass roof. You've got to try it once!

 
At 9:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

toyota yaris or runx then?? toyota's not bad. we drove one for ages and we certainly didn't have any complaints:-) not too fon of the honda, but that's personal taste.
Rev...i wish i could drive a big john deere around Jozi..imagine, you'd piss everyone off! not a bad idea!

 
At 10:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ANT! you simply HAVE to say! My secret dream career is as a car journalist! I am DYING to know.

PS. one of my BFF's an I are planning a car show for chicks - a TV show, including a segment on good places to shag - on the bonnet, back seat, boot. And each car gets an out of 10 rating...

Please tell!

 
At 12:44 pm, Blogger Urk said...

must be a Civic then. surely my faith in you will never be restored if it is in fact, a run-x or yaris.

 
At 1:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey what's wrong with the runx?? admittedly the yaris is a bit overpriced...but it's still a nifty little thing.

 
At 3:36 pm, Blogger Urk said...

storm: a yaris is a tiny lil' fella, with not much in the guts dept (most ridiculously small exhaust pipe ever - funny - check it out next time you see one) and the run-x is admittedly not bad, but damn...the thing came out like YEARS ago.

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

At last! I can finally access Blogger!

Well done Rev, you guessed right about the VTEC - although you're wrong about the price, Cooper S is about R50 000 more.

Thomas - a man after my own heart! that's precisely what I plan to do, and precisely at that Alfa dealer too!

Hot pink - satisfied? Meeow! There goes the cat out the bag! I trust some of us bloggers will score invites to the show? I'm there steaming up the car windows with the best of them :)

Urk - whew! Although I did say it "purrs like a deranged tiger" - I'm not sure that's one of the Yaris' selling points?

storm - to each their own, eh? I personally agree with you - the yaris is pretty cute, I'd consider it if I were looking in that price bracket, but I want something a little more... upmarket.

 
At 4:46 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Ant - List prices are as follows:

HONDA Civic 1.8 VTEC 5-dr - R206k

MINI Cooper Hatch S 1.6 3-dr - R229K

 
At 4:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

at last...the suspense was killing me. just to set the record straight : personally i wouldn't go for the yaris, i just meant its pretty cute. it wasn't even on my list when i went carshopping and at that time the world was yaris crazy!
enjoy the carsearch while it lasts, as i said before...even though my lack of knowledge where the technical side is concerned is probably shocking, i luuuuv driving cars i don't own, and i like driving them fast. i'm so jealous ant, sigh. can't wait for someone to insist that it's time i start looking for a more upmarket car.......

 
At 5:21 pm, Blogger Urk said...

RC: probleem is soos volg. cooper s is basic. put in a couple o options and you will hit 260k without even blinking (roof, wheels, leather will set you back at least 20k already) while the civic is pretty much loaded.

 
At 10:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

otally ate up the road...0-100 in oh like, o.1 second or somethign equally disgusting! luverly!

As for the car show, will keep you posted. We're thinking of calling it The Princess and The Paurper!

 
At 10:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

er... for some reason the first bit of my comment never gets oublished.
it was supposed to read

"Nice one Ant! An ex had a VTEC and it totaly" etc...

 
At 11:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ant? Have written a post in honour of your car search!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites