Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Friday, January 19, 2007

It’s terminal. It has nothing to do with (black) petrol attendants or power cuts.

First-up, my disease: I have a serious, serious case of Google-itis. My friend went for the interview in Zurich (they call themselves ‘Zooglers’), and should know of his success any day soon. The office is a delightfully understated, traditional old-style European architecture building, with a tastefully subtle post at the entrance with an eye-level 30cm sign saying ‘Google’.

I bagged this pen from my friend, whom I ordered to pilfer as many branded items of stationery he could lay his hands on:




Our IT guys came round yesterday and were positively drooling over the writing instrument. My precious…

Then, an incident last night, to follow so many similar incidents before it. Petrol attendants have the serious hots for me. Seriously. I’ve been proposed to, asked on dates, asked to dump my ‘boring white boyfriend’, invited to parties, been given free shit (including a bunch of red roses on Valentine’s Day, rather than the customary single red rose). But last night, I experienced the most touching gesture yet. An attendant sucked rusty water out of my water tank through a dirty plastic tube for me. I was mortified.

It began with the simple request to check my oil and water (and at his insistence, my battery cells’ water level too). When he got to the water tank, he gasped when he saw how rusty orange the water was. “Madam, this is going to damage your radiator. If the water gets there, it’ll break and need seriously expensive repairs. Please let me rinse out the tank and replace it with clean water.” “Um, ok”, I said gratefully. I expected him to bring out some mechanized contraption to remove the offending water from my tank, but all he produced was a muddy two metre-long piece of tube. “No! I’ll find someone who has the proper equipment to replace the water – don’t put into your mouth!” I pleaded.

There was no stopping him, however, as he appeared genuinely concerned that my car would break down and rack up untold fortunes in repair expenses. He flushed the tank out with clean water twice over, then stuck a bottle brush into the tank to dislodge further rusty grime, then re-rinsed it again and filled it. His colleagues and the other customers watched the entire episode in amazement/disbelief/amusement. I’m a total sucker (no pun intended) for great service, so he earned himself a R20 tip. I’ll be back there again.

xxx

On an entirely different note, my frustrations at the sporadic power cuts were briefly abated yesterday when an Zimbabwean colleague told me: “It’s absolutely great that when the power goes out the whole economy shuts down in this place – that’s how you know the country’s going somewhere. In Zimbabwe, it wouldn’t have made a difference, everyone could’ve kept on working!” Viva our intermittently-electrified South Africa!

11 Comments:

At 9:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Power cuts. Battery powered laptops 1 : redundant shitty desktops without autorecover on Word 0. (unless of course you DONT want to work, then its the opposite, and you can go have a boozy lunch somewhere..)

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Eskom seems to know the exact moment when you NEED to get work done, though, and prevent you from doing it. Sigh. Though I guess that's a problem to deal with after your boozy lunch :)

 
At 10:37 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

A R20 tip?? No wonder you getting proposed to Moneybags! (Also because you're a sexy bitch of course). Your reputation around Joburg preceeds you! :)

 
At 11:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You got the petrol attendants, I got the bus drivers/train conductors/dodgy Camden drug dealers. Wanna swop?

You gotta give someone credit for going that extra mile in thier job. Good on him! And now he probably saved you about R2000.

 
At 12:47 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Peas - wanna fill my tank and earn yourself a couple of spare rands?

Insane - the Gilb's skeptical of rusty water's effect on radiators. still, i always believe that if you go the extra mile, you get the extra cash. if you go no distance, no cash.

 
At 12:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ant
What a fabulous story, I love good deed stories and this warmed my heart especially because I know how much car malfunctions can cost.
My experience was not as heart-warming. Before I left on a road trip to the Eastern Cape I took my car for a service. My mechanic was not as overzealous on saving me money and from break-downs and didn't replace a leaky pipe. My car lost water very quickly, overheated and the blew the gasket rendering it useless.
The best part was that my car waited until I was about 120km out of Humansdorp in the middle of nowhere with no emergency lane to break down in.
Oh well, I'm glad you have been prevented from such a horrendous experience - good on the petrol attendant.
Have a superb weekend.

 
At 1:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't panic. There's a rehab clinic for sufferers of Googleitis run by the William Gates Foundation.

 
At 4:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

going the extra mile for cash. sounds like you are doing PR work for sea point prozzies who arrange pick up points off the main road so as to aviod the coppers. ask me not how i know this

 
At 9:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

kyknoord, there is nothing wrong with Googleitis, intact I consider it a completely healthy obsession...

Have you seen the Googleplex...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googleplex
There is free food everywhere, and the people can do pretty much what they want.

Also have a look at The Google Store
http://www.googlestore.com/
For all your Google brand needs.

 
At 11:02 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Benny - oy! my little max has been a faithful, if somewhat grumpy, car. He just keeps on going!

Kyk - bwahaha! Sign me up!

Urk - :) (if i'm not allowed to ask, then i have nothing to say!)

Duzzie - i think we're going to have to check into the BGF together! You've definitely got it BAD!

 
At 11:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, No, No....
I will not let them take me away...
I like it in here....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites