Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Graph it!

I have had a long love affair with the Cartesian plane, dating back to school days when they were first scribbled on the board by enthusiastic Maths teachers. I just love the visual depiction of how y varies as x changes – so… tangible.

Anyhow, I decided these useful things could be applied to many things outside the Maths classroom, and the first “useful” task I assigned them to was tracking my improvement in practising scales for the piano. Every week, the metronome speed would go up, with a corresponding decrease in total time taken to practise 40-odd scales twice through. My piano teacher was totally fascinated with the graphs, so much so that she overlooked the fact that I wasn’t practising them sufficiently at each speed to make me proficient at them – it was all about the steep downward slope, you understand.

Well, more recently, I decided I’d track my blog’s audience to see how many people had come across it before (the average daily readership of the blog is not doing anything exciting, the graph would be approximately a straight horizontal line over time), by monitoring how many times my blog profile has been read over time.

The results are thus:



While the graph looks pretty impressive, I have to give credit to Peas for my increasing publicity; after her winning 2 blog awards and sky-rocketing to blog fame, the fact that I am advertised as her “Itye flatmate” resulted in more hits for me, and in fact would have brought all of you current readers here in the first place (thanks Peas).

Even more recently than that, I decided this month to monitor my monthly expenditure, which gave me quite a shock, not ever having been the kind of person to budget herself. Well, R11,000 later, I realised I spend a lot more than the R8,000 I guessed I spent monthly on average. Thankfully I didn’t try this experiment out in December, I know I would have had a heart attack. Importantly, I tried not to allow my expenditure tracking to influence my spending, I just wanted to see how much I spent – whether I decide I need to cut expenses in some department is a decision to take after a few months’ tracking – after all, there could be some exceptions that pop up from month to month.

The breakdown of the expenditure items was:



Two out of the top three expense categories (rent, clothes, entertainment) are things that I guess could be curbed if I ever felt the need to decrease my expenditure, but in reality I find both rather essential… at least the dentist isn’t something that happens every month! The other thing that surprised me was the fact that petrol came in at only 6% of expenses. We whinge about the price going up all the time, but I guess to the average person living well above the breadline (and travelling regular city distances), price increases hardly make a dent on your direct expenditure.

If a car is in fact in my near future, it will become the largest single monthly expense, substantially more than rent. Food for thought.

The main challenge now is to decide what to track next – any ideas?

5 Comments:

At 9:32 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Thanks dude! Your writing is however most entertaining, so give yourself credit too. :)

Remember what we spoke about (concerning Google) yesterday before you went to see the oompah music?

Track that, I reckon.
xxx

 
At 9:46 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

I will most certainly start that experiment... although it's not really tracking per se. And i trust you've started yours?

 
At 10:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF, having fun on excel are we?

have reviewed the VW golf 5 gti for you, with flappy paddle gear shift, very cool, feel like aryton senna (we all know what happened to him). in closing if its a pocket rocket you require VW5 GTI is what you need. it is fast, and quite high spec.

Ramone out.

 
At 1:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It has to be something related to the (potential) new car - fuel economy over time / distance; frustration with salespeople or whatever.

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Hello Ramone! If ONLY I was stirred in my nether regions each time a Golf zoomed past, I would buy one. They're great value for money, but there's no floating of my boat at all. Sigh! Obviously you love yours :)

Kyk - frustration with salespeople it is! How was it I managed to weedle my way out of a traffic fine from a corrupt cop in Mozambique, but cannot get a decent discount on my car? What's wrong with me?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites