Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Monday, March 12, 2007

Birds of a feather

Do you ever wonder how differently you would have turned out if your social circles were different than the ones you float among today?

This thought (certainly not the first time it has occurred to me), was the singular thought that traipsed my mind throughout the course of a dinner I attended as a partner for my close friend last week. ‘Partner’ as in back-up, conversation mate, effective tool for the avoidance of lengthy conversation with the other dinner attendees.

See, me and T are nerds/geeks/dorks who go way back to a time when nerds/geeks/dorks were still pretty uncool. Back in school, us and third partner in crime, G, while never being picked on, were never really included in any of the cool people’s activities. Not that it bothered us, it was just the unspoken rule: the jock set (don’t get me wrong, a lot of them were really intelligent people too, but they also had the good athlete and prom queen attributes that are necessary criteria for membership) didn’t mix with the nerd set.

I think those were the formative years (forgive me, I’ve always wanted to use that pretentious snotty phrase, now I found a context for it) during which we became the cynical, rude, elitist bastards that we are today. We didn’t shake those traits when we upped our social profiles at varsity, where you start with a clean slate and no-one can fairly judge you until you seal your fate through action. Then, somehow nerd-dom/geekdom/dorkdom became a vastly lesser offense, and our little trio expanded significantly to include some of the jock set (and yes, of course, other people labelled as we were in high school). One thing we all had in common – some to a lesser extent than others – is that we all recognized the cynical, rude bastards in each other, and began to feed off each other’s black comedic side.

The reason I tell this tale is threefold: one, I damn enjoy our style. I like that we’re ironic, callous, horrible and annoyingly intelligent (again, some more than others. I have friends of unbelievable genius who, rather than finding intimidating because of my lesser intelligence, I thrive in being around. They have challenged me to think about things I might not have thought about, in ways I’d never even consider thinking about). Two, I’ve realised I’ve grown to enjoy the company of people of other inclinations (although admittedly far fewer in number) who have challenged me to step out of my ironic/callous/horrible habits from time to time – they help you to stay just optimistic/sensitive/friendly/sincere enough to thrive and to smile at nice things from time to time. And thirdly, there are people that are worlds apart from me and anything I could ever be.

Oh yes – that was the thought that struck me the other night – these people were what my doctor friends used to refer to as the “pillars of society” – the ones that always did their homework assignments, studied longer than necessary for exams, and were somehow possessed of personalities that failed to evoke any lasting impression in our minds. (No doubt, they felt similarly indifferent about us).

That’s what makes this blog thing so fascinating – I have no idea what type of people you really are, and yet we manage to engage – albeit very superficially – on a broad number of topics. We’re less judgemental ‘up here’ for some reason. I guess that’s why blogger meets work for some people and not for others – some people like the anonymity that goes with their thoughts.

17 Comments:

At 10:29 am, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

So I've worked out why you and Peas are such good flatmates.
By her own admittance, she thinks that nerds are really sexy...

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger ChewTheCud said...

dork means penis ;P

I don't think you have to engage a blog superficially, sometime they render insights and meanings that are quite deep. Of course that all depends on what blog you happen to be reading ;P

 
At 11:54 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Rev - what a keen eye you have there, reading between the lines!

Chewwie - nope, I agree - blogs can teach you a huge amount. It's just that we don't engage the bloggers behind them as deeply. (that kind of interaction is most effective face-to-face, don't you think?)

 
At 12:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the whole group of friends thing.

But yeah, blogging has really helped me to connect to people i would have in normal circumstances ignored.

 
At 12:25 pm, Blogger High in Dubai said...

Hi Ant,

I think your post is so interesting… From my own experience of being on the periphery of a variety of different social groups; it’s so easy to see how people gravitate towards social circles that give them a sense of comfort.

The great thing about the blogosphere is that you get a view of these people – the jock, the nerd or any of other social-type group – without having to actually join these groups. It is easier; you don’t have to change your ideals, or silence some parts of you personality to fit in.

I hope that through that, people can just realise that wherever you fit in on the social spectrum, you are just a human being with your own view of what in means to be *normal*.

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger ChewTheCud said...

Maybe face-to-face. Maybe you engage blogs more deeply after you've met the blogger face-2-face. It depends on the circumstances of meeting f-2-f though. Where you drunk at the time, was it organised, was it a party, was it on on one, did the other person not remember you at all and think you were some weird stalker type and you wound up having some big issue about it ;P

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

insano - glad you agree.

H in D - I completely agree with you. I'm trying to be mindful of not becoming too comfortable - new and different people help to ensure you're always challenging your views, otherwise everyone in your like-minded circles always agrees with you. But it's harder as you get older, I've noticed. We tend to stick more closely to our circles than before.

Chewwie - fair enough. I take it you're referring to some horrible/ironic/callous joke I made some time ago. My apologies if it was taken more seriously than intended. White flag?

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger ChewTheCud said...

hee hee ant. No worries hun ;)

 
At 3:23 pm, Blogger ATW said...

A man walks down the street
It's a street in a strange world
Maybe it's the third world
Maybe it's his first time around
Doesn't speak the language
He holds no currency
He is a foreign man
He is surrounded by the
Sound, sound
Cattle in the marketplace
Scatterlings and orphanages
He looks around, around
He sees angels in the architecture
Spinning in infinity
He says Amen! and Hallelujah!


Well that's if you could call me Al. The blog world's kind of the same - a street in a strange world. We simply choose which streets we wish to stroll down and which crowds we wish to mingle with.

Mostly, though, it's a wickedly self-indulgent way of expressing oneself and as Bowie put it so long ago "my essays lying scattered on the floor fulfill their need just by being there."

 
At 9:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During my formative years, I developed an affinity for cynical, rude, elitist bastards. Not that I'm anything like that. Nope. Not me.

 
At 11:38 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

chewwie - good!

wit - of course, you're right. we have that kind of clique-iness here on the web, too. in the flesh, these cliques might not work out, though - strange to think. as for essays on the floor -well, just by being there, or by being read there?

kyk - i would never dare to suggest you might share the same feathers, boy. keep uo your polite, caring, optimistic, sensitive ways :)

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Lopz said...

I'm pretty new to all this blogging, and I really thought it was just about writing something for yourself and maybe a few randoms who popped in from time to time to see what you'd been up to. I had no idea there was a whole community out there, most of whom don't even know each other's real names, but who have formed alliances, cliques and friendships through reading each other's musings!

I think it's awesome - and an interesting idea that these connections may only work out online, but might collapse if they were to be transferred to the flesh. How close can you get to someone through blogging?

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Lopz - that's how I started out, what I thought would happened. I never realised it would end up being what it is, which is fine in some ways, non-ideal in others.

Seems some elements of personality shine through your writing, while others are left to be discovered in person. Welcome to the blog world, Lopz :)

 
At 12:46 pm, Blogger Lopz said...

Thanks Ant! It's all good so far, I'm having great fun reading all your blogs and getting to know you - but god, I'm really not doing ANY work! A downside to the wit and wonder that is blogging.... at least, for one's employer. ;-)

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Amen!

 
At 12:15 pm, Blogger fuzzy logic said...

Being of a similar status (nerd-like) I loved this post!

 
At 3:32 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Hello there fuzzy, glad to please you... though i'm afraid we can't be mates unless you know the secret nerd handshake :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites