Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Eat. Meat.

It’s a very small point, but it happens so often that it bears mentioning: why, if when you’re at a restaurant or calling Mr Delivery and you happen to order a dish that does not contain meat, are you deemed to be a vegetarian? Does a pasta or a pizza with a vegetable topping not constitute a meal, that people must ask why you haven’t ordered any meat?

Don’t get me wrong – I am very much an omnivore, one of those insensitive individuals that believe if the animal is lower on the food chain then it deserves to be killed and eaten (providing it’s not an endangered species) – but there is certainly an inordinate amount of stigma attached to those who graze on greens rather than masticating on meat.

I have felt keenly aware of this judgement before – once, while working in a client’s office in Pretoria (surrounded by hefty Afrikaans men) for a few weeks, one of their employees, who I’d got to know quite well, said, “that’s not usual for a vegetarian”. Now, apart from the judgement of what is and what is not normal for a vegetarian, the man had clearly seen me eating pepper steak pies and ham sandwiches before, but due to my pale skin (yes, I asked for reasons) and (fake) blonde hair, he chose to ignore all evidence that might disrupt his world order of who eats whom and who eats shrooms. I felt compelled to prove to him that I was in fact an avid meat eater – because in my mind I was a lesser person in his eyes for being a supposed vegetarian, so for lunch the next day I brought a rare cooked fillet, and relished somewhat theatrically in the bloody juice running down my chin as I crammed the carcass into my mouth.

In another incident, I was gift shopping for a vegetarian friend of mine in Cape Town. Out of ideas, I resorted to buying her a vegetarian cook book, and I can remember that the anxiety I felt while waiting in the queue to pay for my book, instilled by the chance that someone might spot me carrying a vegetarian cook book and assume I was a vegetarian, far outweighed the anxiety I felt when waiting in a queue at an Exclusive Books in Jozi with a book with a woman’s naked ass on the cover entitled… (the name eludes me at the minute, but it definitely had the word ‘anal’ in it).

So from whence does this stigma arise? I never see any advertising campaign that markets vegetarians as lesser people – in fact, I have a fair number of close vegetarian friends that are quite remarkable people – yet somehow, the stigma exists. Is it because the alpha-male image in South Africa is considered to be a staunch Afrikaner standing next to the braai, and anything that is incongruent with this image is considered to be less than alpha-male? Though why does this affect me, a female?

17 Comments:

At 10:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm. Nice post Ant. I really struggle with stigma as a vegetarian. I am sick of people asking me why I am a vegetarian. I don't ask why people eat meat. I always get the feeling that perhaps somehow vegetarians make people feel uncomfortable because they assume that it's somehow a judgement on the fact that they're eating animals. Perhaps it's subtle guilt projected onto the innocent vege. I don't care who eats animals. I just don't and I don't judge those who do, so I don't want to be judged because I don't. (hehe)

 
At 11:14 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Very good point - maybe for some there is subliminal guilt. Answer this question for me: if you had a boyfriend who wasn't a vegetarian and had just eaten a rare fillet, would you kiss him before he brushed his teeth?

 
At 12:29 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. That is a tough question. It would probably gross me out a little. I would have flashes of little pieces of meat trapped between molars, waving in the the flow of the kiss like little bits of seaweed (okay, now I have gorssed myself out)
Luckily for me, my ex and current bf were both vegetarians as well...

 
At 12:55 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

1 - ok, you completely grossed me out too! (But spaghetti can wave in the flow of the kiss like seaweed to!)

2 - you raise an even more interesting question: how is it you seek fellow vegetarians out? Do you sense it in them, and are therefore more attracted to them, or is it something you actively ask prospectives the first time you meet?

 
At 4:16 pm, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Fret not my darling.

You're welcome to eat my Golden Smackeroos anytime.

They're meat. Sort of. :)

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

To maintain my regular perverse stance:

Peas's last comment appears distinctly lesbian??

 
At 6:02 pm, Blogger ATW said...

The biggest challenge I have with vegans is when entertaining & having to specifically cater for them. Quite tough to do at a braai, especially also if they also don't do beer...

Guess that's quite a selfish challenge to have though.

 
At 7:00 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Peas - thanks for the generous offer, but no thanks :)

Revolving - distinctly. I learnt a great phrase the other day: koekie stamp. I'll leave it to your filthy imagination... where does my boyfriend learn all these things, I wonder?

ATW - selfish, perhaps, but valid. You only realise how different your habits are when you suddenly have to cater acceptable cuisine! Ever entertained orthodox Jews? I suddenly understand why gentiles and Jews don't mingle much socially - it's not possible to cater food that they can eat, they have to bring food through of their own (along with cutlery and crockery, drinks, etc). Although I've been entertained at Jewish friends' houses with no difficulty - thank God I don't have to worry about such cuisine complexities!

 
At 8:37 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

I have on occasion found myself braaing vegetarian schintzels - it can be done. Just don't leave it on too long as it ends up being a vegetarian biscuit.

If you're doing potatoes or mealies on the fire, you're sorted.

 
At 9:27 am, Blogger Vallypee said...

Interesting to speculate how such perceptions may be goverened by a country's agricultural leanings. Here in Hollands, being a veggie is pretty much the norm, but then if you don't eat cheese, you're positively an outcast!!

 
At 12:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how Asian people say that westerners smell different because we eat meat? Perhaps as a vegetarian you're attracted on a pheremone level to someone who smells vegetarian. Or perhaps it's just that you're attracted to people with similar interests...

 
At 12:09 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I actually found out by accident that my current bf was a vegetarian.

 
At 1:03 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Revolving - thanks for the tips, Jamie!

Val - so many things that are the norm in your country are unusual to others! I can totally side with them on the cheese thing, though, you truly are a total weirdo if you don't eat cheese! (I say this, but I am the only avid cheese-eater in my family - one lactose intolerant Dad and strict and permanently dieting Mom and sister).

Jam - I like your pheromone answer, more esoteric than the (perhaps more likely) similar interests answer. But maybe there is something in vegetarians in the way they interact with other people that makes them perceptible as vegetarians to other vegetarians? Kind of like a gay person can always tell another person is gay, without him/her having to be a screaming queen or full-on dyke.

 
At 5:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vegetarians tend to be less predatory than meat eaters when it comes to picking up people in strange places.
;-)

 
At 7:58 pm, Blogger Antoine said...

There is something about Vegetarians that concern me - (NOTE Generalised comment) - They want to come across as different because they do not eat meat, and do spend a load of time justifying why they do not eat meat. Again - this is an observation from the people in my circle.

My GF went vegetarian for a year. I hate veggies (eating them), but as I am the cook in the house, I got very creative in the kitchen cooking two meals a night. There is so much you can do with the little buggers.

 
At 10:46 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Jam - aha! The 'meat market' puts you off, eh? Fair enough...

Antoine - I get irritated by vegetarians that profess to have given up meat because they don't believe animals should die for our food (a fair argument, even if I disagree), but then see no irony at all in wearing fake fur jackets that look like the real deal. If you're wearing something that looks close enough to a real skinned animal, it means you want people to believe you're wearing a skinned animal, and what message is that sending out to impressionable future animal killers???

The little buggers are quite versatile in the kitchen I'll agree - my best friend teasnob in Vancouver has got mighty creative with them since moving there as a student becasue meat's too damn expensive. He is now borderline vegetarian, as he has grown to dislike the richness and smell of meat.

 
At 12:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my little vegetarian defence - the only reason why I ever get preachy is because meat eaters spend so much time giving me a hard time for not eating meat. There's always a "What's wrong with you" kind of approach.
Otherwise, why I don't eat meat is my business, not anyone elses and I tend not to talk about it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites