Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Friday, February 09, 2007

Bye-bye, baby

Dear Max, I know I’ve mourned over the thought of losing you before but I have to grieve again, this time because it’s real.

Even though you suspected it (you’re a sharp Corsa, I know) – I could hear you hissing and spluttering every time we entered a Mini dealership parking lot – you still put on a brave face, and were faithful to the very last minute.

You have even mysteriously been consuming petrol at a far lesser rate lately – was it to convince me you were the most efficient car on the planet, or were you so devastated at my betrayal that you lost your appetite, dear love?

No matter what happens, I want you to remember that you are the longest relationship I’ve ever had, and for the most part, the memories have been fond, even though they might have left some scars on you (and again, I’m truly truly sorry):

Do you remember adventurously mounting curbs to park on, on Friday nights back when the gay Heartland clubs were pumping? Your exhaust once took that serious beating and you ended up going to a very expensive doctor to replace it.

What about the time you went straight over the island on Jan Smuts avenue in midday traffic, very narrowly missing that swanky Merc?

Or the crater left in your passenger door when I let that nasty boy drive you home from Melville?

Or the time that dickhead tow truck driver aquaplaned from the M1 offramp into your bumper?

And, the time you dutifully stopped at a red light, when some twit in a 4x4 slammed into the back of you, and you caused more damage to his bull bars than he did to your bum? (My brave hero, you!)

All these times, you kept me safe – no bone was bruised, no skin cell so much as scraped during any of these sometimes hair-raising moments – and you kept on loyally going, continuing the journey until I arrived home unharmed.

We have traveled 138,000 very happy kilometres together, and seen some lovely places: meandering through scenic routes in Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal, enjoying the views and sunsets in Cape Town, and parking outside the Oppenheimer mansion’s entrance until the guard chased us away.

And we enjoyed singing together, didn’t we? You hummed and purred as I howled along to songs like No Doubt’s “Don’t Speak”, Groove Armada’s “Superstylin’ ”, Beethoven’s Ninth, and your all-time favourite, Third Eye Blind’s “Semi-Charmed Life”.

You also liked talking (well let’s be honest – it was more like yelling) to other cars, honking your glorious horn at them for their stupid driving mistakes, especially the taxi’s and Beemers of the road.

Whoever your new partner will be, I’m sure he/she will treat you well, in all likelihood better than I did. You’re getting older now, the energetic behaviour of your youth is no longer a great idea, Max. Your wild streak must be tamed a little, at least in the beginning so you don’t frighten your poor new travelling partner.

And always remember, reverse is our favourite gear.

xXx

To thousands of smooth, traffic-free, puncture-free, scenic drives ahead, my dearest Maxibon.

13 Comments:

At 9:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ant, you actually mad me wipe a tear;-(

it's tough saying good buy to a loyal partner, i know......but hey, it had to happen righ:-)

 
At 9:53 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Ah gosh...I'm also feeling emotional now. I'm gonna miss Max too!

It's hard hey? When I said goodbye to Bruno, I cried like a baby.

And no, it's not lame.

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Ja, feeling downright dismal about it today. Nice bling new car on the way, while i ditch my trusty friend... sigh.

 
At 10:50 am, Blogger Urk said...

at least you never two-timed him. now. lesson #1 : Double clutching in the astro black meanie...

 
At 12:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, you breakin' my heart here Ant!

Sadly, I have never been able to actually say goodbye to my car(s). Some nasty mofo has also rudely kidnapped them with no damn ransom note before I could wish them well on the next part of their exciting lives.

Bless Max, let's hope his next chapter is exciting. And I'm quite sure the new boucnign baby boy will be very happy with his new mama!

PS. Was fun meeting ya.
X

 
At 12:25 pm, Blogger Antoine said...

Poignant post.

You emotional person you ;->

 
At 12:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HPF - so grateful mine wasn't kidnapped, at least i knew it's fate....but being murdered by the french is a terrible way to go:-(

 
At 1:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sniff* Happy trails, Max.

 
At 2:08 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Alas, poor Max, you rode him well!

 
At 2:55 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Urk: um, not right now. breaking him in gently, you understand...

HPF: that's bloody awful! My new baby's got a Tracker installed, they're not taking him anywhere!

Great meeting you too :)

Antoine: I cried at the dealer. Promised myself I wouldn't, but just couldn't hold back the tears...

Storm: ow. For all the dings I inflicted on Max (or others did to him), he's come out largely intact. Though I had a very funny moment at Sandton City fun - went to make the transfer for the deposit, came back to my car (parked on the roof), and had a mini heart-attack: the driver's side was completely scraped and indented! Fortunately, I walked a few steps more and found that someone in the same model same colour Corsa had parked next to me. Whew!

kyk - but not happier trails than he had with me!

rev - like the best, i tell you.

 
At 5:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh but the piccies are bee-yoo-tiful!
Wish you well to drive him/her.

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger KaB said...

damn ant...made me want to cry! Getting all sentimental here while I read this!

 
At 8:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A fitting tribute. (waves to Max as (s)he rides off into the sunset)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites