Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Purchase admin

It’s T – 3 (yep, should get the vehicle by Saturday, Monday at the latest), and I’ve had to look back over the past three weeks and marvel at the obscene amounts of admin involved in two large movements of my cash incurred during this time.


List of things to do to open a unit trust investment account:

1. Download application form from internet
2. Decipher form, call customer help line for assistance
3. Gather all documents to meet FICA requirements:
- copy ID book (easy)
- copy latest bank statement (easy)
- write letter explaining that I am in fact a co-lessee with Peas, to whom all bills are addressed, and who signed the lease in the first place. Peas signs (easy)
- get copy of such a bill addressed to Peas (easy, she’s quite organised in that regard)
- get copy of SARS letter with my income tax number on it – ask Dad to ask his incompetent financial adviser to find my documents and send to me (not so easy)
- over three days, make internet banking deposits into asset manager’s bank account, because of frustratingly low internet banking payment daily limits (easy, but
painstakingly slow)
- submit all documentation to asset manager, including proofs of deposits
(easy, huge sigh of relief)
- get a call from asset manager saying Peas must sign an affidavit to swear I do, in fact, live with her (f*%&!!!)
- go to bank, get declaration form for co-lessees, get Peas to sign (easy, but again, painstakingly slow: avoid going to the bank if at all possible!)
- take signed declaration form and recent bill (in Peas’ name) to bank (“No, we won’t act as commissioner of oaths for that kind of document.” “But you gave it to me in the first place. I’ve been waiting half an hour to be served.” “Sorry, go to the police station.”
- take signed declaration form and recent bill to police station for commissioner of oaths stamp. “But Peas must be here to sign. How do I know she’s not dead?” “I’m really sorry, I didn’t know. But look, this bill from last week is in her
name – she must be alive, unless you suspect she died in this past week, in which case I’d be even more distraught than I am now.” “You’re asking me to trust you –
I shouldn’t be doing this, you know.” “I’m really grateful – thank you.”
4. Resubmit forms to asset manager. (easy, but with lots of suspense)
5. Receive call from asset manager saying that all is in order (finally!)

Total time taken: 2 weeks


List of things to do to buy a car:

1. Test drive, test drive, test drive! (not always so easy, but damn fun)
2. Ask dealer(s) to put together a sales proposal (too easy – they’d try to sell it to a 5-
year old)
3. Have current car valued for trade-in (easy – they do it while you’re test driving, except
you cringe in embarrassment that you didn’t have the car cleaned beforehand and
dozens of empty water bottles, pamphlets etc are sitting in the back seat)
4. Day-dream about your new wheels
5. Complete application form for finance (decipher, call finance person for assistance)
6. Thank the dear Lord you’ve just received a raise and your salary looks more
impressive and hence more likely to be approved for finance (ironic, that)
7. Organise new insurance (a f#$%ing pain, I despise this kind of admin)
8. Cry over loss of old reliable car (difficult to detach)
9. Show off new wheels!

Total time taken: 1.2 weeks


Do you see why it’s so much easier to buy expensive toys than it is to save/invest your money? This FICA shit is a clever way to discourage you from saving and encourage careless spending of money! (and you just know the criminals have found a far more painless way to get around the rules than it is for the honest folk to comply with them – that really irritates me).

Why is it that being shown to be FICA compliant once is not enough? Every new account requires the same bloody proof! (“Why not just check with my bank if I comply?” “Uh, no. We need you to submit the forms to us.”)

After the admin ordeals above, I’m so not ever buying a house…

19 Comments:

At 9:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...shame ant, sounds like you went through quite an ordeal:-) thanx for making me giggle though! i forget what an issue it is, since i work with most of this crap everyday, i kinda got used to it:-)
now isn't it nice if your boss is a commissioner of oaths??? you just run in with the stamp already on it, and he'll sign, no questions asked...cause he's my boss and at the moment he believes me to be an angel....aaaaah:-)

 
At 9:41 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Now you're the kind of person I need to befriend... I'm jealous as the ease with which you can attend to these things! I leave any admin off to the last possible bloody minute because I hate it so much.

 
At 9:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ho-leee shee-it. You are the all-time undisputed poster girl for serenity. Most people would have been driven to murder or suicide or both.

 
At 9:59 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Dude, how is it you haven't pulled all your hair follicales out by now?

Btw, tell them I'm alive and well. Especially after last night.

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger boldly benny said...

Oh my word I can totally relate but it took me 3 weeks to buy my car. What a pain which included insurance companies giving me quotes for car and household insurance but ommitting my car - yes they're that gifted. OR my car getting licensed to a 45-year-old woman living in the house I lived in FOUR years ago in Cape Town - yes they licensed a GP car to a WP address. It's nuts!
THEN six months later a woman ploughs into me and I have insurance admin all over again and have to wait three weeks for my car AGAIN!
Bring on public transport!

 
At 10:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ant,

I can thank my lucky stars that my Aunt is a Manager at a bank. When I had to get my FICA in order, she did everything. I just had to give and sign certain doc's. She even brought it to my house to sign.

What really was a pain was when my boss bought another car, and before anything was done decided to go to the UK for two weeks. I had to do everything!! Talk to Stannic, the dealership, send statements / ID / Drivers you name it. Well he did get the car when he returned... too bad I didn’t choose or test drove it for him!!

Good luck!!

PS: I will go through that any day if I could get a brand new car!!!

 
At 11:15 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Kyk - I don't know if 'serene' was a word that could be applied to me at any point during the course of these past few weeks (in fact, ever. I'm a highly-strung, hand-wringing Italian, you see).

Peas - I'm going to have to send them photo's, plot your heart rate, take finger prints, or just bring you in to prove you're alive. They don't seem to believe it otherwise!

Benny - oy. vey. i guess i can't complain then. but you'd think, you're a customer begging to buy someone's product or service - why do they make it so damn difficult for you to do it??? i'm all for public transport, but won't be making use of any until i've tired of my new car!

Somali - can I hire you to do my admin for me? in return, you get to drive my car once in a while and pretend it's yours!

 
At 11:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ant in that case...hell i'll do it for you!! LOL

thing is, even though it's such a pain to do all of this, it does actually make security in the banks with relation to fraud, moneylaundering etc sooooo much better...pity is, it's the innocent people who gets all the sheit:-( i don't mind the fica stuff so much, as it makes my job just a tad easier...but people hate us anyway therefor my opinion on it probably doesn't count.

and NO...i don't work for SARS - just incase that's what you thought

 
At 1:13 pm, Blogger Urk said...

which leads me to my next point. unit trust schmunit trust. think of the nice chrome wheels and sound system and stuff you could have "invested" in, instead of investing. bah humbug.

 
At 9:53 am, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

FICA = Fucking InConvenient Admin

 
At 10:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A t3?! Whoa mama! You're gonna have some fun!

 
At 11:50 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Urk - glad to see you lost your serious commenting ways on yesterday and are back to your normal foul-mouthed self :)

HPF - chuckles! I meant 't - 3' as in a count-down to launch-off. I believe I'll be seeing you this evening, in which case I'll tell you what my car is in advance :)

 
At 4:00 pm, Blogger Urk said...

foul mouthed? sies. hope you ordered a black one - been seeing a few of them around. shit hot.

 
At 4:03 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Urk - oops! I meant Rev, the foul-mouthed blogger :)

And a black one what? Yes, it's black, but how can it be shit-hot if you don't know what I got, hmm?

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger Urk said...

i know i know

 
At 4:10 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

you'll know tomorrow / monday, depending when transfer of ownership can take place. I'm so excited I'm not very focused on my work today...

 
At 4:16 pm, Blogger Urk said...

silly billy. i meant it as an excited I KNOW!! I KNOW!!... not a melodramatic i know..*sigh* i know..
and when you announce it to the world, i will say to the masses.."i told you so".
also, itn's it just PANTS that suddenly a day seems like an eTERNITY, cos you want the fookin thing NOW.

 
At 8:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sooooooo.....it's a mini i hear ;-p or should i rather say read???

good going ant:-)

 
At 9:01 am, Blogger Urk said...

I TOLD YOU SO!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites