Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Thursday, May 31, 2007

Seared, but maybe not severed?

First off, I have to rave about the restaurant I went to last night: finally, I’ve found one Joburg restaurant that knows how to prepare seared tuna (La Rustica, 103 Houghton Rd – I don’t own shares, promise!). I’ve learnt to gesture very emphatically to waiters my “tsssst, tssst” manouvre, indicating (with my hand taking on the role of the raw tuna fillet) the precise amount of time each side of the tuna should be exposed to heat. You might think I’d have learnt not to order tuna in Joburg, having been burnt time and time again (much like my poor overcooked tuna fillet), but no – I live in desperate hope that this time I will strike gold, this time the chef will understand; each and every time I hear ‘seared tuna’ listed as a special, I succumb to the adulterous promise of its tender, buttery seduction – and each and every time the slutty piece of fish appears to spend more time in the pan than in my mouth.

It’s not as though Cape Town fares much better these days – I’ve come to realise that the preparation of perfectly seared tuna is a dwindling art.

But anyway. What I really wanted to express today is highly related to a recent previous post, in which I wondered to what extent you were a product of the group of friends you associated with, and in which I stated that there are some people (perhaps groups of people is a better way to express it – one on one I’d like to think you might always find some commonality) that you’ll just never be friendly with.

So, the other day my temporarily (I hope) new Google (Facebook) spat out the name of someone I really liked (platonically speaking, dude in question – don’t get a heart attack now) way back in primary school, but have not seen since (save for one brief, chance encounter during the increasingly-distant varsity days). We started chatting (Chewwie, you’re a common friend, incidentally) and discussing blogs, and when he asked what the name of mine was, he gasped (the exact sound of this was conveyed through Internet transmission, trust me) to hear I’m none other than, of course, the author of this here bloggy-blog. It was total confirmation that as you grow older, you’re exposed to new experiences and different people, and your personality (and ideologies) develops in completely unique ways from each other person you knew as a child, which may either eventually converge more towards, or diverge more away from, the altering personality/ideologies of the adult people who were the children you first met. (Just re-read that, it’s pretty convoluted. In a nutshell: as a result of the personality/ideology transformations we’ve all undergone, we might have less in common with, or more in common with, our childhood friends/acquaintances).

What I’m trying to say is: dude in question, I wonder whether the person I’ve become (which hopefully is not my final ‘state’, I hope more transformation lies in my future) – clearly vastly different than the person I was, or at least appeared to be to him, judging from his ‘gasp’ – has more or less in common with you today than the person I was (or appeared to be)? Yes, it’s a largely irrelevant question, since I’ll probably not see you any more frequently than I have done over the past 15-odd years. But still, I’d just like to know.

Does Facebook credibly offer the promise of long-lost friends/acquaintances rekindling the friendships of the past? Or is it really going to be just an alternative way to communicate with your current friends, once the whole ‘friend’ harvesting craze has died down?

8 Comments:

At 11:03 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm,

good question. personally, The Unholy Book has given me the opportunity to grow a friendship that only really had the chance of "hi, how are you?" beforsaid person left the country... now we're much closer than we were and found out we have much more in common...
then again, there are those other cases...

 
At 11:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seared Tuna? Tender, buttery seduction? Friend harvesting? Oh my god! You're Anthony Hopkins, aren't you?

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger ChewTheCud said...

My folks had seared tuna in hong Kong with a bunch of other South Africans. Quite a few sent theirs back to be "properly cooked, this is still raw" ;)

You spend waaaay too much time obsessing about the facebook phenomenon. It just makes you realize how small our worlds all are.

I reckon people change all the time, you're basically getting to know someone entirely new and different from the person you once knew. You have just as much chance of getting along with them as falling out with friends you already have.

The dude in question is awesome!

 
At 1:50 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Kyk - I won't tell if you don't

HPF, Chewwie - it seems you both concur: some people you're closer to, some you're not (and Facebook may or may not bring you closer together, in either of the cases).

 
At 4:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well now, I feel like i have slightly been put on the spot. But I will have a go and I hope helps you a bit to formulate your own answer.

Sheesh, primary school......that was more than 14 years ago, I cant remember what I'm wearing if I dont look down. I think that throughout a persons lifetime your view of the world, the people in it and the opportunities change on a daily basis and from there your personality grows, develops, changes and mostly evolves, so who we were, who we were friends with, what we deemed fun, cool, dorkish etc has changed so vastly that its really hard to form opinions of people we knew back then, I suppose what I mean to say is, my perception of my memory of you is probably very different from what I thought of you then (if my ramblings make any sense at all).

My memory of you is very different to my perceptions of you now, and I think even then that in person, my perceptions might be very different of you again having read your blog which I think allows people to express thoughts, feelings rants much more than social norms and friendship boundaries allow you to do in say a one on one conversation or in a group of people or in fact any social setting. So yes I suppose in short, my perceptions are very different. I dont think likes or dislikes change over time much, so that fact that we got on at school suggests that we would probably get on now, but then again I have been proven seriously wrong on that one, there are a couple of people I was friends with in primary school that I would run over now given half a chance. Keeping the fact that we met a few times at WITS in mind hey!

Facebook...... thats another story all together, to be honest I am not sure how to take it / use it etc the reason being is this, when I left high school, I maintained contact with people I really liked and found to be true friends, there were a lot of people I got on with and partied with, but only a few true friends (who I speak to this day), so my dilema came in the form of people I havent spoken to, thought of or seen in almost ten years trying to be mates with me on facebook, WHY? what the fuck changed between the 1st year out of school and now? Is it just facebook and my accessibility, or did you just decide I am someone you want to be friends with now? However this feeling changes slightly in my case seeing as people that could have been true friends in primary school didnt really get the chance seeing that I went off to school in another province and then being re-introduced by facebook is quite cool! Facebook also has an evil side, I cant be as much of a prick as I want to be, there are people that add me as friends (not you or chewwie, promise) that I just dont have the heart to hit the reject button and now I feel like a bit of a sell out, like my true friends have been diluted or something.

Anyway, enough of an essay, will chat to you on facebook :-O

Chewwie is awesome as well, just so everyone knows, just wish I could spend more time with him ( not in that way, promise)

Ciao, dude in question.

 
At 7:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...slutty piece of fish..."?

I'm going to have to go with Kyk on this one...

 
At 11:19 am, Blogger High in Dubai said...

Ant,

You bring up something that has been swirling around my brain since I got onto Facebook. Many of my mates use it while many don't - so I naturally do not have the harvesting situation happen (I like it more when I can get a general view of who my facebook mates are).

The thing is when you become friends with people from high/primary school; people you haven't seen in absolute ages - you are kinda forced to see what these people are up to - snippets of their personality and realise they are totally different to who you thought they were or very much the same...

I think you can over-analyze the whole Facebook situation... But it is possibly one of the most fascinating means of communication and unlike (anonymous) blogs you and your lifestyle are thrust for people who knew/know you for a milisecond to judge...

Sorry - just some of my thoughts...

 
At 9:13 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Dude in Q: thanks for your thoughts. As for the facebook thing, my view is that just because someone's a friend on Facebook, doesn't make them a friend in the flesh (and vice versa). So, I personally have no real problem linking up with people I no longer speak to (although I do like the fact that for 1 minute, for the first time in 15 years, you know the person you have just sent a message/invite to, is thinking about you.) In fact, I view it as a fascinating (albeit imperfect) Kevin Bacon game experiment...

Martin - EVERYONE knows that tuna is the whore of the fish world. *Hluuup-hluup-hluup-hluup-hluup* (Silence of the Lambs-style schlooking noises)

H in D - I'm with you on everything there - although I do imagine the lack of anonymity on Facebook could get people into trouble - someone I know has a huge problem with being tagged drunk in photo's, he doesn't want to be found in that context by prospective employers when he goes on the job hunt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites