Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

A calculation gone wrong; calling all physicists for help

3rm and I have now been diligently doing our morning running ritual for about 7 weeks (not all consecutively, given my propensity to fall ill from time to time) and it has reached that point where arguments ensue (which for me and him is an inevitability) about how best to improve.

His desire: to tone up. Mine: to get fit. His goal: to sprint 4.6 bloody kilometres (half of that is uphill). Mine: to run 8-10 km without feeling dead afterwards.

So, this research was all prompted by a huge (breathless) screaming match we had while lugging our exhausted bodies back up Oxford Rd, much to the bewilderment/amusement of commuters waiting for their public transport at the robot.

The argument

3rm: to tone your muscles, you’ve got to damage them with harsh exercise, causing them to build up scar tissue which is more solid than regular tissue. So we need to speed up our run radically, [insert unnecessary curse words here].

Ant: eeuw. Why? To get fit, you just need to run long distances, it doesn’t matter whether you speed up drastically, you just need to keep the heart beating at an elevated level for a reasonable period of time, [retort with equally vile battery of cussing].

3rm: No! We must go faster and do anaerobic exercise, $%*^(&$!

Ant: You can’t keep up anaerobic exercise levels that long buddy, trust me. Let’s do it the way nature intended, ok? There’s a reason that complex life evolved on this planet, and one of the main reasons for that is oxygen, you [bleep bleep bleeeeeeeeeeeeeep].

Of course, the answer is that neither of us is right nor wrong – the right type of exercise depends on what we want to achieve by exercising in the first place. I do like to think that I’m more right [naturally] but I can even justify my claim: aerobic (i.e. oxygen-burning) exercise is best suited for low-intensity exercise over a longer period of time, and I don’t think that a 4.6 km run can ever be short enough for people of our fitness level to be realistically maintained anaerobically (i.e. without burning oxygen).

The two types of energy consumption are also interchangeable, so that during a relatively fast-paced run, you’ll be using the lactic acid (anaerobic metabolism) cycle to some extent, with the aerobic cycle dominating (and vice versa for high-intensity burst of activity, e.g. a sprint, weight lifting, jumping). The trick is to find the correct exercise intensity level at which any lactate produced from the lactic acid cycle is rapidly and thoroughly consumed by your body – you don’t want this accumulating in the muscles as it leads to cramp, and thus has a detrimental effect on muscle function. The good news is that the more training you do, the greater this so-called lactate threshold (or anaerobic threshold) becomes – i.e. you will be able to train at higher exercise intensity levels before lactate builds up in your body, causing cramps. 3rm and I have certainly seen evidence of this, as we are now able to run the whole uphill portion without stopping to catch our breath anymore. I just don’t see the need to escalate our pleasant run to a sprint – I’d rather run further.

Out of interest, I also wanted to see what causes the greater consumption of energy (for a weight-loss perspective, a measure neither of us is using) – an increase in speed or distance. So I’m going to do the dangerous thing and put some equations up for all the geeky (and more scientifically adept) people to scrutinize. Warning: my physics is somewhat lacking (so if I’m using the wrong equations, please speak up and enlighten me):

For the effect of speed:

E = 1/2 mv^2 (energy consumed = 1/2 x mass of the body x velocity squared)

For a 10% increase in velocity:

E = 1/2 m (1.10v)^2

i.e. E = 1/2 mv^2 x (1.21) (taking the factor of 1.21 out to the end)

i.e. a 10% increase in velocity results in a 1.21 times greater energy consumption, which for those of you have forgotten all your high-school maths, is a 21% increase in energy consumption.

For the effect of distance:

W = Fs (Work done, which can be equated to energy transferred, = force x distance run)

What I’m going to be ignoring in my calculations is the effect of friction, which adds a significant amount to the extra work that needs to be done to keep moving)

For a 10% increase in distance:

W = F . (1.10s) (assuming your force, dependent on your mass and acceleration, is constant)

Therefore W = (Fs). (1.10)

i.e. a 10% increase in distance equates to a 10% increase in work done (or energy consumed, but like I said, this excludes the work done to overcome friction)

I guess these results make sense if you look at the equations – the speed equation is a power relationship between work and speed/velocity, whereas it’s a linear relationship for work and distance. You can even investigate this the lazy way – when next you’re in the gym, memorise your kJ consumption rate at each speed you run at, plot it on a graph and voila! You’ve plotted your first parabola since Matric.

Of course, I’ve just spotted a major omission in the velocity calculation – there’s no accounting for the length of time for which this velocity is kept up, which will obviously impact on the total energy consumed. I’m guessing you’d have to plot v^2 against time, and the area underneath it (multiplied by half your mass) would be equal to the total energy consumed – but this means the energy is a factor of 2 variables now, and… I give up. I hope one of you can help me.

So, it seems I’ve strayed from the original intent of this post – to disprove 3rm. I guess we’re both right, and if it is a weight-loss objective you have in mind, I’ve unsuccessfully sort-of proved that speeding up is more effective than running further, given a similar percentage improvement in either.

Oh bother. Being a bad scientist sucks.

14 Comments:

At 10:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

apropos nothing at all, I thought that this would appeal to you...
http://www.ohmibod.com/ohmibod.html

 
At 11:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha, you are a geek!

 
At 12:06 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Cherub - apropos indeed! It's a bloody miracle my boss was facing the other way when the page loaded! Long time no here, angel... I've got an email sitting in my Drafts folder just waiting to be completed and sent to you. Will finish it tonight, promise!

Martin - 3 words mister: pot, kettle, black. Read about what you do, and while I don't quite grasp exactly what it is, you're obviously one of us! Nice of you to pop in, will check your site out more thoroughly later :)

 
At 12:33 pm, Blogger Itsnopicknick said...

Oh wow, Martin's right - you are a geek! I would simply listen to the subtle nuances of my body and if you're wanting to get fitter do it by pushing your boundaries a little bit everytime. But then www.runnersworld.com probably have more helpful info than i do.

 
At 12:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The thing about all of this exercise is that you maintain your long distance running & do it more regularly than the more sporadic running. So you maintain your ability to run 8-10km but every hill or so you are able to do that sprint up it & then carry on with your regular run as normal.

What I would do is let's say 4 times a week do your long, average run (maybe increasing distance as you go) & then twice a week do those sprinting runs to increase your anaebolic system! I use to row for 3 years & whenever we did short sprints compared to our long runs or water sessions, we found that those sprints definately helped but the trick is to not just focus on those sprints! The more you do them the more your body will adapt...it's amazing how kiff the body is!

But anyway, whatever you do it still sounds like you're more active than the rest of us lot!

 
At 1:07 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

spoon - what. ever! Will check out the site though. For some reason, I didn't feel like Googling for it...

Kab - actually, pretty cool suggestions. 3rm and I definitely need to learn the meaning of 'compromise'. As for our fitness, we've got to be careful - we might be turning into those weird people who exercise regularly, don't smoke, don't drink too much and mysteriously drop dead of a heart attack...

 
At 3:08 pm, Blogger boldly benny said...

Hi Ant
Just popped in and found your post both interesting and confusing (haven't touched maths or physics since Matric) but I agree with Kab, I recently just joined a running club - urk I don't even like saying it coz it conjures up images of country clubesque antics. However, the club provides a safe-ish but more importantly pretty route to run. Once a week we do what is called quality work - it kills me but it does increase your fitness levels. It's not necessarily sprints but it is faster pace running chopped up. For example we'll do three 400m runs in a row - 400m at 5km pace; 400m at 3km pace and then 400m at 1km pace. Since you're upping your pace you have to rest inbetween so we'll do four sets but you rest for a minute between each set - effectively running 4.8km. The idea is that you push yourself so hard your chest burns and is struggling to let air in, your lungs will then open up to a larger degree and let more air in and effectively you start being able to let more air in and your breathing (and fitness levels)improve.
Yes it's all very technical and when I used to jog in Cape Town it was a standard 6km run, but I must admit it is helping.

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Benny - best you keep this endorsement from 3rm :)

I believe these are called Fartlek exercises (no, seriously).

 
At 4:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ant, geekery has nothing to do with what you do, but rather about how precisely you go about it...

And I didn't just pop in, I've been reading your blog since the very (I think) beginning :-) At a stage I asked Peas to ask you to enable blogger-less commenting, I just forgot to check whether you'd done that after a while!

 
At 4:09 pm, Blogger boldly benny said...

No ways - that is hilarious! This is going to plague my mind.
On your side, you guys aren't exactly training for some 7-day endurance marathon so running regularly is probably best AND less jarring on your joints than sprints - the rhythem of a long run always helps me clear my head. Plus when I was in CT I just did my own thing and ran my route and over time I went from gagging while running 4km to running 6km twice a day. Those days have long faded and I'm back to gagging again!

 
At 6:24 pm, Blogger Third World Ant said...

Martin - true, true. You're still one of us, I think...

Well feel free to comment with gay abandon :)

Benny - I jest not! I'm definitely going to use the 'jarring joints' excuse - 3rm complains about this all the time. Score! Unfortunately with us, there's never any 'clear your head' time during the run, it's usually arguments, rude chirps, witty banter. Porras and Wops were never meant to be quiet together :)

Were you running marathons at some stage? 6km x2 per day? Sheesh!

 
At 12:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't you have any work to do?

 
At 3:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't follow the physics but one thing you can tell 3rm is that he does not want do develop any kind of scar tissue on his muscles. These kinds of injuries cause major problems and eventually become chronic, forcing you to stop running.

Get fit slowly. Then start doing increasing amounts of speedwork.

NEVER overdo training. You simply open youerself up to every bug that is going around and will always be sick.

 
At 12:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what 3RM is getting at with regards to 'developing scar tissue'. This is what body-builders do - tear the muscle down so that it rebuilds itself stronger. It results in bigger, more toned, muscles.

However, running is the wrong activity if you want to build your leg muscles. With the kind of 'tearing down' necessary, the pain makes it very difficult to run.
If he wants to build his leg muscles, he needs to do leg sessions in a gym. If he wants to tone, however, running at a level which burns maximum fat is best.


I suggest you both purchase Heart Rate Monitors. It's been a revelation to me: I always believed the harder you run the better, but with these things you can optimise - burn more fat in less time by just keeping your heart rate within a certain band.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites