Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Monday, November 20, 2006

Mud pies

After years of threatening to do so, I finally hauled my ass (and dragged the Gilb’s too, of course) to the Ficksburg Cherry Festival – thanks to my sis and Mom’s hiking club, which arranged the trip.

We met up with the rest of the tour group at 9pm on Friday (my Mom’s friend drove us there at a painstakingly slow average speed of 90 km/h. “In England no-one drives like these hooligans!” was her reply to our pleas to accelerate to the speed limit). We awoke to a miserably drizzly Saturday morning, drove out to a Fouriesberg cherry farm (quaintly named Loskop), where we determinedly marched out onto the farm and tried to get our entrance fee’s worth of (wet) cherry picking/eating, then drove into Ficksburg for the (soggy) festivities. Not armed with umbrellas or raincoats, the Gilb and I made a nifty solution: we emptied out the white promo packets they gave us at the entrance, and used them as hats to keep our expensive Joburg hairstyles intact (we looked alarmingly KKK, but all in the name of frizz-free hairdays, I say). The day’s memorability was greatly enhanced by having to slodge and shluck through ankle-deep mud – half of the visitors abandoned their shoes, the other half bought those yukky plastic crocs thingies that were on sale at a few of the stalls.

Now, call me a born-and-bred Gauteng-a-leng, but I expected much more from the festival in terms of taking advantage of the economic opportunities afforded by such an event. For one, there were no umbrellas being sold at the entrance (in Jozi, on the first day of summer rains, the traffic intersection salesmen are all fully stocked – and I would have paid virtually anything at that point for a brolly), but more importantly, there was no cherry pie, cherry strudel, cherry cheesecake, cherry sorbet, cherry hot chocolate, cherry syrup, glacéd cherries etc in sight. One thing there was in reasonable quantities (and varieties) was cherry alcohol.

So I made the most of the limited diversity of cherry products and bought what forms I could. The spoils of my spree include:

Cherries (the simplest and arguably best form)
Cherry rolls (sweetened dried boiled cherry pulp flattened into sheets and rolled for a snack)
Cherry jam
Cherry sweets
Cherry liqueur
Cherry wine
Normal wine (sigh! Bought MORE wine! Couldn’t resist – there was a wine-tasting tent and I found some bargains)
Cherry cider (they ran out of cups, so we bought a 2lt bottle full, and they warned us “keep opening the top to let out the carbon dioxide – the cider’s still fermenting! It’ll get stronger and stronger if you keep it for a while!” We didn’t – very thirsty, you understand
Cherry vinegar (got the last bottle!)

Highlights of the festival included solving the mystery of what happened to tv star from my childhood Amanda Forrow, who we spotted doing a Pick ‘n Pay cooking demonstration; and a blind kid singing kak boeremusiek choons dreadfully on stage (some dude commented in passing on how admirable his performance was, to which my tactless yet hilarious boyfriend responded “not only is he blind, but completely tone-deaf, too”).

On Sunday we did a hike in some breathtakingly beautiful Fouriesburg mountains, then stopped off in Clarens on our way back to Jozi (again, our return journey took us an inexplicable 5 hours)… and here we are again at the start of what promises to be a hectic work week. Gimme mud any day.

7 Comments:

At 10:22 am, Blogger ChewTheCud said...

right so - you must be a bit sick of cherries by now. This must have cropped up at least once already but I'll ask anyway - you pop any cherries this weekend? ;P

 
At 11:53 am, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

Nothing quite like a roll in the mud wiff your Cherry!!

 
At 12:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Love cherries.
I prefer mud to working as well, escpecially at the moment. I REALLY need a holiday and envy you for your weekend escape...and so close to your Mozambique trip!

 
At 1:10 pm, Blogger Katie Possum said...

actually, despite the threat to haircuts, sounds like you had fun! Oh, and she's lying about the british driving below the speed limit - not a chance!

 
At 4:16 pm, Blogger boldly benny said...

What a positively wonderful weekend. I LOVE CHERRIES so I would've gone wild but I would've also been distraught over the lack of cherry confectionaries.
If my dad had been there he'd probably have made the first ever cherry bredie - he's weird that way!
Feel your pain on the slow travels, I once went with a friend to Dullstroom and she was paranoid about getting a speeding fine so she drove 60km/h THE WHOLE WAY!

 
At 8:14 am, Blogger Third World Ant said...

ctc, rev - cherries popped, not at the festival :) Call me conservative, but sex in mud is dirtier than I ever need it to be...

jam - it's been a great month of a getaways, i'll give you that. hope you get a chance to have a break soon - you sound like you need it xxx

kate - she makes as though the English drive PERFECTLY and the Saffa's (which yes, we all know are bad) are the worst drivers in the world... I've seen worse in Egypt, Rome, Paris. And you'll be relieved to know that our hairdo's emerged intact :)

benny - I think you'd better beg your Dad to put up a stall at the cherry festival, all in the name of consumer choice! (and while you're at it, give me the cherry bredie recipe, too!)

 
At 12:07 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ant,think you could post some cherry liquer across the continent to me???
In case you're wondering, this is Insane Insomniac. I've started a blog for my little sister - Lollipop. Check it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites