Third World Ant

The thoughts of a little ant on a big planet.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tea with the Queen

Inspired by my tag in my last post, I remembered how much a great wish of mine it is to have tea with the Queen of Britain. Why, you ask? When you could be bedding the (in)famous Robbie Williams, sharing the stage with the White Stripes, partying it up with Paris/Lindsay/Kimberley/Nicole, reading out history-changing speeches from Capitol Hill? Why would you rather choose to have a comparatively mundane cuppa with the monarch of a once-great empire?

A number of reasons, really:

1) You love Earl Grey tea. You REALLY love Earl Grey tea.

2) You love being in the company of those who also really love Earl Grey. Although I’ve not personally asked the Queen about her feelings for England’s best export (and neither have I seen it documented anywhere) she simply HAS TO love Earl Grey tea. It’s in her contract somewhere, I’m pretty sure. I hope she won’t blanch at the sight of me drinking it like a pleb, though… (Shock! Horror! A dash of sugar plus milk!)

3) Buckingham Palace is not that far from Twinings’ head office so there is a greater chance you will bump into someone influential from Twinings (perhaps even coincidentally a joint guest at our little tea party) who you can brown-nose to the point of earning yourself a lifetime supply of free Earl Grey (alright, throw in a few crates of Darjeeling and Irish Breakfast too, please)

4) Another random punter you might bump into is Prince William, that delicious little blue-blood who’s just begging for a bit of corruption to his untarnished image. Yummy! (and famous and wealthy and smart – quite a catch, I should think)

5) Nice silverware and fine bone china lying about for prestidigitators such as myself to nick – I’m not the immoral kind of person who’d swipe these to sell for a fortune on eBay, mind you, I just like the occasional memento.

6) The opportunity to talk hoity-toity with someone who (literally) speaks the Queen’s English. We’d be all:

TWA: Dear Elizabeth! This scone transcends all scones that ever preceded it! How utterly scrumptious!

QEII: *blushing* Why thank you, kind TWA. I am most humbled to be in your presence. (okay, that one’s a stretch)

TWA: Oh, don’t be silly, Lizzie, there is no other place on this planet that I could even comprehend of being right now… say, could I have another cuppa?

QEII: Certainly dear. Hubert, Maximillion? Where the devil have they got to? The help is not quite what it used to be, you understand.

TWA: *exaggerated sigh* Ah, yes, the help. No matter, I’ll go pour for the both of us. [and zap! prestidigitation! Cake fork up the left hand sleeve, sugar spoon up the right)]

QEII: Yes, you simply can’t trust them these days…

TWA: *brief grimace at the stab of remorse running through my left knee* Well, uh, yes. Now tell me all about your thoughts on pension reform in pseudocapitalist former colonial outposts…

[let’s hope some Twinings guy reads this huge product endorsement and sends me that lifetime supply, and let’s hope too that the Queen doesn’t read this. She doesn’t blog, does she?]

On the matter of tea parties, a while ago I mentioned that I was reading Martin Gardner’s The Annotated Alice, which goes into great detail on every possible topic that could be discussed relating to Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. I plan to tell you about the immense geekiness of some of our fellow Earth inhabitants and the anal-ytical lengths they will go to to interpret fantastical things in literature. But that’s for next time. I will leave you with the Mad Hatter’s famous unanswered riddle from the mad tea-party of Chapter 7: why is a raven like a writing-desk? Of course, the annotated book attempts to answer the riddle, but I’ll give you a sleepless night or five to ponder it…

8 Comments:

At 6:27 pm, Blogger Urk said...

Call it the wonder of "urk maths", or call it sick of frikkin working late, but (1 times Earl Grey ingredient)+ (one times heir to the throne) + (one times TWA) equals TWA tea-bagged by prince harry himself.

 
At 6:28 pm, Blogger Urk said...

errr. i mean william.
my bad

 
At 7:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wit sighed wearily. "I think you might do something better with the time," he said, "than wasting it in asking riddles that have no answers."

 
At 9:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried Lady Grey? Seville orange, lemon and bergamot.

 
At 8:55 am, Blogger Peas on Toast said...

Urk - Indeed! I'll take my Earl Grey any way it comes ;)

Wit - wrong, dude. Ponder away - I will have numerous answers for you in my next post :)

Inyoka - yes I have, and I find the Lady inconsistent. The first time I had it, it was heavenly - subtle citrus entwined with enticing bergamot. Since then, I've found the citrus a bit overwhelming. But: Irish Breakfast, Price of Wales, Darjeeling... all damn fine alternatives to the good old Earl.

 
At 10:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I dunno, Earl Grey's not quite my thing...

Green tea with mint (especially Twinings) is the real wicked stuff. In case there's none, Camomile or Vanilla will also do.

And, it's cool to hear you're an Alice fan too! :-) My favourite line is by the footman to Alice as she knocks on the house (which he's standing guard to) door: "There's no sort of use in knocking, I'm on the same side of the door as you are!"

 
At 10:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your obsession with Earl Grey is a little frightening. But hey! If you can bag William, send Harry my way...I hear he likes us S'Affer girls.

 
At 1:34 pm, Blogger Revolving Credit said...

How about tea with Elton John??

Thats tea with a Queen of England

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

South Africa's Top Sites